The lip does go right up to the edge of the cockpit. I painted that area about a year ago when I replaced the windows. I'm prepared to do a bit of touch up paint around there and see how nicely I can smooth the deck paint in to the side paint, but that's a discussion for a later post when I'm closer to it. I've decided to remove more hardware and the reset of the deck before going in to the lip removal and fairing phase.
Today I removed all the chainplate covers:
Please ignore the drips on the toerail in the background. My varnishing skills are way better than that, it's just how the boat came.
All the covers for the chain plates have been removed and labeled. It took about two hours to unscrew all the plates, then loosen the turnbuckle and lubricate the turnbuckle with lanolin, an antisieze compound.
The tools I used are shown in the pictures, a wrench, electric and manual screwdriver and some pliers.
So here's the project plan as it stands now:
1) Remove the rest of the teak deck mounted hardware
Problem areas are the anchor windlass and bow pulpit and stanchions. They're through bolted, big, heavy or cumbersome so I'll need help with removing them. It's possibly going to get dirty in the cabin when removing this hardware because of the big holes.
Goal Date: Friday, likely finish date Saturday morning
2) Remove teak decks: Same process as before with mallet and hammer
Goal Date: Sunday, I'll have weekend help
3) Remove screws and clean up deck with scrapers and acetone
Goal Date: May 13, 2013
4) Prep Holes
Goal Date: May 15, 2013
5) Fill holes
Goal Date: May 22, 2013
Boy it's going to take a while. Guess I'll need to buy some extra beer and brats and call in the reinforcements.