S/V Astraea with Durabak beige nonskid - YouTube
Astraea finally has a new look. After two coats of Interlux Prekote primer and two coats of Interlux Brightside paint. We did one coat each day. The primer covered the entire deck and the paint went down just around the deck edges. In between coats we sanded with 220 grit and cleaned up with Interlux 333 brushing liquid.
We rolled most of the area and only brushed in the areas behind hardware and corners. We didn't roll and tip because the results from just rolling were really good, there were very few bubbles. While working on the deck preparation and painting we wore clean socks to keep dirt off the decks.
The day after our last coat of paint we taped the area around the deck edges and hardware we didnít want nonskid to go. It took us about 8 man hours to tape the entire deck. We made all the edges the same width of a roll of blue 3M painters tape. The straight edges were easy to tape, just put the tape against the edge and roll the tape. Natalie used a compass to draw some easy curves, but it didnít work for everything. She got creative and used kitchen tongs holding a pencil for curves around the deck house and hatches where a compass didnít work. We over taped and traced the width of a roll of tape then cut away the excess using an exacto knife and peeled up the tape.
We sanded the deck with 100 grit sandpaper and cleaned up the deck twice with rags wetted with Industrial Maintenance Coating Thinner. The directions for the Durabak nonskid calls for Xylene, but Xylene isnít available in California. Industrial Maintenance Coating Thinner is OK to use in place of Xylene.
Finally we were ready roll the nonskid! I opened the first can and mixed it up with our electric drill and a paint mixer and poured it in to a paint pan. I did some test rolling on cardboard to get used to rolling the textured material before rolling on the boat. It took about an hour and a half to cover the decks. I took a break and then rolled the second coat.
That night after the Durabak dried for four hours we could walk on the nonskid and peel up the tape from the edges before it fully cured. The tape came up easily if the Durabak wasnít too thick. We cleaned up areas where the tape tore with an exact knife. We had some issues with the tape pulling up the white paint underneath where it hadnít dried completely because we applied the paint too thick. We will touch up those areas later when we finish priming and painting the cockpit locker covers.
Weíre so excited that this project is almost finished! Itís been a long six monthsÖnow on to re-mounting all the hardware.