Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013

OleSwole is on a distinguished road
Re: What are these things?

Can anyone say if it could be likely that it's leaking, as there is occasionally a small amount of water around it? I had thought it was due to its proximity to the bilge, but is it possible that it is this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2013

UncleJim is on a distinguished road

If it's on a boat or below the water line there is always a possibility of it leaking. If the wire is disconnected next time the boat is out of the water have it removed and the hole glassed over.
Old 04-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJim View Post
If it's on a boat or below the water line there is always a possibility of it leaking. If the wire is disconnected next time the boat is out of the water have it removed and the hole glassed over.
Yeah, I've come to terms with that (grumble). Came here looking to diagnose what I thought was a bilge problem, but now understand that it's a leak around the transducer.

I'm trying envision what this thing is, like how long or tall it is (on a 24' shoal draft boat), whether it is fitted into a tight passage or whether there's space around it, etc.

Any pros, I'd appreciate some wisdom.
Old 04-28-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

That's definitely an old transducer of some sort.. the wire bale and the white 'collar' make it look to me like it's removable, there may well be a replacement blind plug for it somewhere in the boat if you dig around.

If it is removable as I suspect then it's also most likely to be an old speed transducer/paddlewheel sensor. I gather you've not seen the boat out of the water?

If it's leaking it may be doing so past a damaged O ring, or the fitting itself may leak.... or it's just fine and any water leaking from somewhere else collects in that area because it's a low spot.. lots of possibilities rather difficult to diagnose without being there.

If the wire's cut then it's certainly a candidate for proper removal and repair, or replacement with a newer instrument.
bljones likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 04-28-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I'm not suggesting that you should do this but I will mention it anyway.

I have taken transducers like this out of the hull on boats that were in the water. You either need the right plug to put back in or replace with the transducer you just took out to plug it back up. Sure some water comes into the boat but it is not under very high pressure so if you work fast the damage is minimal. Your bilge pump works, right?

That you notice water around this through hull fitting is perhaps a little worrisome. As Faster rightly noted, either:

A) water is getting in between the plug/tansducer and the through hull fitting
or
B) water is getting in between the through hull fitting and the hull

In either case it is something to keep an eye on and make plans to fix when you next haul out. It would be nice to know how the water was getting in there (A, B, or both) in order to figure out a proper repair method.

If it is just reason A then some heavy grease applied around the plug might stop or slow down the leak for a while.
If it is reason B then it might be time to remove the through hull fitting and fill the hole with epoxy and cloth (not really so difficult as you might think).

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2013
Living the dream

ReefMagnet is on a distinguished road

Did you find a blanking plug? Removable transducers typically use a couple of o-rings lubricated with a grease to allow insertion and removal and water sealing. If you have a blanking plug you can study it to see how it works. It will either be a bayonet or screw connection to the through hull. Unless you have that blanking plug I wouldn't attempt to remove the current transducer with the boat in the water.

By the way, it is common to remove the transducer with the boat on the water and swap it with the blanking plug. I do this on my boat all the time with my speed transducer otherwise the paddle wheel would become foul when not in use. Some transducer through hull fittings have doors that close as you remove the transducer that limit the amount of water flowing into the boat. Others don't and the initial gush of water can be a little scary if you haven't had much experience swapping over. Having said that, the swap over process should take no more than a few seconds if you know what you are doing so little water actual ends up in the bilge.
Old 04-29-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Yes, as others have said, it does appear to be a transducer, and if you can find the blanking plug, I would pull it out, and put in the blanking plug and see if that solves the leak. The first time I did this I about had a heart attack, because you unscrew the collar, and pull out the transducer, you are supposed to have the plug in your other hand and just put it in. I did not have it right there, and there was a water spout in the boat, and I had to grab the plug and put it in. I was a bit panicked as it was not my boat, but the owner was watching and laughing as I fumbled around with it.

It is not unusual for you to have a little bit of water in the bilge. Just keep an eye on it. Do you have an outboard, or inboard motor? As the shaft on an inboard will leak a bit by design as it helps to cool the the shaft in use. Unless of course you have a drip-less seal! See there are no easy answers to any of this.

What kind of boat it is? and congratulations on the new boat!
Old 04-30-2013

I went way down in my attitude after realizing it's not a simple bilge problem, but a leaking transducer, and now I have hope again at the thought of switching it with the blanking plug. Will go in the next day or so and look for that plug. I've seen it, and wouldn't have thrown it away...so it must be there. Fellows, I do thank you.

So I appreciate having some hope now. I still can't picture the unseen part of this thing, as far as depth or height and how exactly it is in there; and am supposing if the water was coming around the device, the blanking plug wouldn't help (is that what the consensus says may happen?). One thing is for sure, the leak has to do with the transducer rather than from some other place. I've looked carefully enough to determine that.

Faster, I haven't seen the boat out of the water yet, but did some figuring about costs, etc. And as for a bilge pump, Caleb, I've determined that there isn't one. There is a hand pump/diaphragm device in the cockpit for what seems like the sink drains, but the bilge appears to be a very peculiar, almost non-existent thing. Maybe being such a shallow draft? I don't know why.

ReefMagnet, as for screw versus bayonet design: How would I know how to approach it, as to whether threads exist on it? Can you say if the default idea is to attempt unscrewing the thing, after removing the collar? As I say, am still struggling to picture the unseen part of this unit. I appreciate it.

BTW, Paul, thank you. She doesn't have an inboard with all those through-hulls, thankfully, and she's a Capital Yachts model with a shoal draft.
Old 05-01-2013
Living the dream

ReefMagnet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSwole View Post

ReefMagnet, as for screw versus bayonet design: How would I know how to approach it, as to whether threads exist on it? Can you say if the default idea is to attempt unscrewing the thing, after removing the collar? As I say, am still struggling to picture the unseen part of this unit. I appreciate it.

If you find the blank it should be self explanatory. A screw fitting will most probably have a threaded collar and a bayonet fitting will have a pin going through it instead.
Old 05-04-2013

Thank you, ReefMagnet. I did not find the plug on the boat, so ended up ordering one online to try and get this thing taken care of asap. Research appears to have narrowed it down to an RS transducer blanking plug, and the RS site was the only place I could find one.