sandblasting with crushed glass - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-27-2013 Thread Starter

sandblasting with crushed glass

I am a snadblaster and i use crushed glass. I have customer that wants his 42" sailboat blasted down to the gel coat and the gel coat just roughed up to apply a new coat. I would use 60-100 grit on it. Is it a good idea? If so, what precautions should i take?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-27-2013

Re: sandblasting with crushed glass

I don't have any expertise with blasting hulls but just from the general knowledge you get from owning a boat I think soda blasting is the most common method of blasting paint from a boat hull. Never heard of crushed glass being used. It might be too hard for the gel coat. If the gel coat gets compromised it could lead to osmotic blisters.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-27-2013 Thread Starter

thanx for the reply, but when talking to the owner, he didnt want to sod blast because he had heard that it may lead to blistering. Thats why he called me to see if it could be blasted with glass beads.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-28-2013

He might be remembering the opposit of what he heard. There was a good article on soda blasting in Pratical Sailor a few months back. If I'm remembering correctly the reason for using bicarbonate of soda is that as a blasting medium is that it is softer than other blasting mediums and more controllable. You would know better than me but it seems to make sense If the owner is concerned about blistering he should consider a barrier coat before putting on the new bottom paint.
post #5 of 13 Old 04-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmdcatw View Post
thanx for the reply, but when talking to the owner, he didnt want to sod blast because he had heard that it may lead to blistering. Thats why he called me to see if it could be blasted with glass beads.
Wait, are you blasting with glass beads or crushed glass? Two different media with two different abrasive profiles.
I'd soda blast, and the yard the boat is in would probably be happier with soda blasting as well. You're removing a soft paint, not trying to strip oxide from steel, so no advantage to a harsher abrasive.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-28-2013
72 C&C Corvette

My freind works for a large blasting company and they use nothing but soda on hulls, it called an eco blaster mixed with water and soda it contains all material from the bottom that has been removed. good for the ole envirnment ya know
post #7 of 13 Old 04-28-2013
Old as Dirt!

Bead blasting was fairly common practice at one time. It is, however, very difficult to avoid undue damage to gel coat unless the blast master is exceptionally skillful and cautious as glass beads have a much greater hardness than soda. One might fear that residual soda media remaining imbedded in the gel-coat could lead to blistering of the paint as moisture migrates through the paint layers but a proper wash with a pressure cleaner and an subsequent mild acidic wash down prior to the application of a barrier coat should eliminate any residual soda that might otherwise be a concern.

FWIW...

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #8 of 13 Old 04-28-2013
Learning the HARD way...

I refused to use a contractor to blast my hull because he wanted to use crushed glass (aka silica, aka sand) Sand is much too abrasive, and has too much mass. I found another contractor that used baking soda as a blast media, and was/am VERY happy with the results.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/118 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
post #9 of 13 Old 04-28-2013

crushed glass and silica are not the same thing. You can make sand into glass, but you can't make glass into sand. CG is more gentle and more consistent than silica, but still more abrasive than soda.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

post #10 of 13 Old 04-29-2013

Soda blasting or sanding. Nothing else.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.