Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-29-2013

cas8100 is on a distinguished road
Beef Up Battery Plate

I have a Catalina 22 and am planning to move the battery location from the starboard aft factory location to directly under the cockpit (behind where the cooler would fit in the companionway.

The reason for doing this is that I want to put a bigger 120 AH battery in there that is wider than a "standard" 12 volt battery. My concern is that a 120 AH battery weighs just shy of 75 lbs and I'm concerned about the forces being placed on the bottom of the boat.

The location is aft of the keel, but still in an area that should be fairly beefy. I was considering glassing a fiberglass mat down first, followed by a wood frame that would ensure the battery doesn't slide around. However, there is a slight curve to the bottom and I'm wondering if I need something else to help spread out the load.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Beef Up Battery Plate-img_20130429_095449_173%5B1%5D.jpg   Beef Up Battery Plate-img_20130429_095504_781%5B1%5D.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road
Re: Beef Up Battery Plate

The battery needs to be in a box or tray to hold spilled electrolyte. It also needs to be secured so that is does not move more than 1" in any direction. You also want to make sure you have some ventilation for the gases given off during charging. Other than that it should be ok, the hull should be able to take that weight no problem. The other thing I see is it would be hard to check and add water when needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-29-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Ditto on containing spills. You also need to have it strapped down, so it can't come out during a knock down or get any momentum to break the container.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 04-29-2013

cas8100 is on a distinguished road

I was going to make a frame out of 1" x 1" (like picture frame) and glass it in place. I'd mount straps there to keep it from shifting. It's a sealed, non-spillable AGM so I shouldn't have to worry about liquid or even venting requirements. It is a a fairly open space anyhow.

I was most worried about the pressure points created at the four corners of the battery. Thought maybe a fiberglass mat glassed in right below would help protect the hull.
Old 04-29-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Off topic but an important factor is the battery orientation, (port-starboard or fore and aft. See this excellent Maine Sail post:
Installation & Orientation of Flooded Batteries - SailboatOwners.com
Old 04-29-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

AGM, he should not have to worry about orientation as they are not a flooded battery.

If you are going to build a box to put it in, why not build up the "floor" of the box so that the battery sits flat on it. This would equalize the weight over the entire area of the box you are glassing into the hull rather than worrying about stress risers from the corners of the battery

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 04-29-2013

SVTatia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
AGM, he should not have to worry about orientation as they are not a flooded battery...
Absolutely right - but where does the OP mention AGM? Our posts crossed over the cybersphere...
Old 04-30-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas8100 View Post
.....It's a sealed, non-spillable AGM so I shouldn't have to worry about liquid or even venting requirements......
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Absolutely right - but where does the OP mention AGM?.........
Although orientation is not an issue, the battery box should be flat and completely secure. While a cracked AGM will not spill, it's still a bad thing.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.