Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-01-2013

jasonr575 is on a distinguished road
how do i bond my mast

I have a Morgan 37 Oi. My mast is down and I was going to check the rigging and rebed it with zinc chromate paste which would isolate all the stays. Also found out the mast is not bonded. Spoke with a rigger who said bond to the mast step which I found is led so can't connect to that. Yard manager said bond to chain plate of one stay but if I rebed rigging with paste it would be isolated from the mast. Asked rigger about attaching to base of mast just above the step, he said no because next time the mast is removed the riggers wouldn't think to remove the bonding wire. What is the best way to do this? Was thinking of a large hose clamp at base of mast that I could slip the wire under then just loosen it to remove the wire but wouldn't that eventually deteriorate the mast base? What is the proper way and practical way to do this?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2013

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Re: how do i bond my mast

Why do you want to bond the mast?
Old 05-01-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road

I would bond to the mast step. I am assuming you are bonding for lightning so this should be fine. I am not sure what you mean when you say the step is led? If you are saying it is lead that sounds odd as I do not think i have ever seen a lead mast step plate. I would guess it is aluminum. Here is an interesting link for lightning info: Lightning Protection on Sailboats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-01-2013

jasonr575 is on a distinguished road

I am bonding for corrosion protection. The mast sits on the keel and the plate it sits into is led. From what I understand masts should be bonded to everything else just like through hulls etc to prevent them from wearing away. Am I wrong? I have had one of those clip on zincs attached to my stay when at dock and it is as good as new several years later. Therefore the mast is not bonded. Nobody else uses those zincs and has a bonded mast?
Old 05-01-2013

sailvayu is on a distinguished road

OK I am sure your base plate is not lead but that does not matter. You do not need to bond your mast for galvanic corrosion it will not waste away if it is not bonded. Bonding is for underwater metals. Those clip on zincs are useless as you have found out and they only do anything if the are properly connected to the vessels bonding system and even then they are a waste of money. Some use them on rigging as a lightning ground but they are pretty much useless for that too. So to answer your question forget about it and go sailing.

Old 05-01-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I'd just paint the bottom foot of the mast, and the mast base it mates to, with Zinc Chromate primer. Not paste, primer.

My mast and base had had the same treatment 15 years ago, and there was not a hint of corrosion when we pulled the mast a few months ago.