SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Bobstay condition (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99108-bobstay-condition.html)

mainemandean 05-02-2013 06:25 PM

Bobstay condition

Hello,

Calling all sailors with bobstays!

Please look at THESE PHOTOS:
Photographs Dean Abramson
and tell me if you think I have enough corrosion on the lower turnbuckle that I should replace it. (Click on the pix to see bigger ones.)

I would appreciate any input I can get on this.

Thanks!

Dean

overbored 05-02-2013 07:10 PM

Re: Bobstay condition

you will need to clean it up to see how much pitting there is on the stainless. this type of fitting should be checked on the inside of the bore. if this fitting is set up so the inside bore will hold water they will fail from corrosion pitting on the inside

knothead 05-02-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainemandean (Post 1024726)
Hello,

Calling all sailors with bobstays!

Please look at THESE PHOTOS:
and tell me if you think I have enough corrosion on the lower turnbuckle that I should replace it. (Click on the pix to see bigger ones.)

I would appreciate any input I can get on this.

Thanks!

Dean

Yes. Without question you should replace the turnbuckle.
I only had to look at the first pic. The turnbuckle is a Navtec stainless turnbuckle. They commonly fail in just the area that is exhibiting all the rust in your photo.
When you replace it, I would recommend that you consider a bronze openbody turnbuckle with a threaded eye instead of another Navtec.

mainemandean 05-02-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knothead (Post 1024771)
When you replace it, I would recommend that you consider a bronze openbody turnbuckle with a threaded eye instead of another Navtec.

Can you point me to the manufacturer/supplier of such a turnbuckle? Perhaps I should have mentioned that the bobstay itself is rod; I am guessing that it's about 1/2" in diameter. The boat is a Cape Dory 31.

Dean

knothead 05-02-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainemandean (Post 1024799)
Can you point me to the manufacturer/supplier of such a turnbuckle? Perhaps I should have mentioned that the bobstay itself is rod; I am guessing that it's about 1/2" in diameter. The boat is a Cape Dory 31.

Dean

Engineered rigging and hydraulic systems for the marine industry

The fact that the bobstay is rod doesn't dictate the type of turnbuckle that you choose.
For that matter, the fact that the bobstay is rod doesn't mean that you can't replace it with a wire one.
The turnbuckle stud and pin are probably 1/2". You could use up to 5/16" wire to replace the rod if you wanted to. I just seriously recommend that you avoid the Navtec type stainless steel turnbuckle. Especially on a bobstay.

mainemandean 05-03-2013 12:06 PM

Knothead,

The link you posted is for Navtec. A search there for bronze turnbuckles yields nothing. So I am a little confused.

BTW, my rod is 15/32".

Thanks,

Dean

knothead 05-03-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainemandean (Post 1025121)
Knothead,

The link you posted is for Navtec. A search there for bronze turnbuckles yields nothing. So I am a little confused.

BTW, my rod is 15/32".

Thanks,

Dean

I'm sorry dean, I thought you were asking for a source for the original turnbuckle.

You can get open body turnbuckles a number of places. Including the SailNet store. Turnbuckles
Or, http://www.sailingservices.com/stand...urnbuckles.htm
Standing Rigging - Rigging Wire, Wire Rope Terminals, Turnbuckles, Rigging Hardware

http://www.sailingservices.com/stand.../threadeye.jpg
http://www.sailingservices.com/stand...ckle_bonly.jpg

overbored 05-03-2013 01:31 PM

open body turnbuckle will not work on rod rigging without adding a different fitting to the end of the rod. on rod the turnbuckles are male thread on the center. there is nothing wrong with this type of fitting if it is keep clean and you remove the corrosion. this fitting has been known to fail because the body holds water and will corrode on the inside of the bore. if keep clean they will last as long as any other, much longer then wire. as for the size of the rod they are measured in number sizes and the pins given in metric sizes. if you are worried then just replace it and your good for another 25 years

knothead 05-03-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 1025194)
open body turnbuckle will not work on rod rigging without adding a different fitting to the end of the rod. on rod the turnbuckles are male thread on the center. there is nothing wrong with this type of fitting if it is keep clean and you remove the corrosion. this fitting has been known to fail because the body holds water and will corrode on the inside of the bore. if keep clean they will last as long as any other, much longer then wire. as for the size of the rod they are measured in number sizes and the pins given in metric sizes. if you are worried then just replace it and your good for another 25 years

It's a bobstay. Hard to keep that free of salt. :confused:

I have to disagree with you about the Navtec stainless turnbuckle lasting just as long as bronze turnbuckles. It's just not the case. Sorry.
You are correct though that he can't just replace the turnbuckle. Half of it is attached to the rod. I was expecting that he would just choose to replace the bobstay in it's entirety.
There is no reason however that he couldn't have a stud fitting attached to the rod, new or used and stick with rod if he chooses to. If he has lost a little length, that can be made up for by using a toggle.

I've been rigging for 17 years and I refuse to sell stainless turnbuckles, especially Navtec.

mainemandean 05-03-2013 08:10 PM

If anyone wants to see the cracks I found, go to:
as the pix have been updated.

I will replace the turnbuckle.

I only want/need to replace the lower turnbuckle. The rod seems fine. I have taken it all apart; it was simple. From top to bottom it's a toggle, turnbuckle with eye, rod, turnbuckle with eye. You loosen it all by turning the rod which has flat spots for a wrench. I was amazed how easy it all came apart.

I would be happy to replace with a bronze turnbuckle, but am yet to find anyone who makes bronze ones of that type and size. ??

Dean