SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Getting sanitation hose over fittings (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99125-getting-sanitation-hose-over-fittings.html)

kjzerr 05-03-2013 09:57 AM

Getting sanitation hose over fittings
 
Good day all:

I am installing a new holding tank and replacing the sanitation hoses. I am using Triton sanitation hose (supposedly one of the most flexible), and I find it next to impossible to get it to go over the barbed fittings. Both the 3/4" intake and 1-1/2" outflow are equally as difficult. Any suggestions on making this task easier? Is there a lubricant available which aids slipping on the hoses?

Thanks in advance!

Kermit

T37Chef 05-03-2013 10:02 AM

Re: Getting sanitation hose over fittings
 
try liquid soap first then if needed, heat the hose with a heat gun being careful not to melt it

SVAuspicious 05-03-2013 10:04 AM

Re: Getting sanitation hose over fittings
 
I soak the hose ends in the hottest water I can manage for several minutes to soften and expand the hose. Smear a very thin bit of light grease on the hose barb. Shove hard.

Maine Sail 05-03-2013 10:16 AM

Re: Getting sanitation hose over fittings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjzerr (Post 1025029)
Good day all:

I am installing a new holding tank and replacing the sanitation hoses. I am using Triton sanitation hose (supposedly one of the most flexible), and I find it next to impossible to get it to go over the barbed fittings. Both the 3/4" intake and 1-1/2" outflow are equally as difficult. Any suggestions on making this task easier? Is there a lubricant available which aids slipping on the hoses?

Thanks in advance!

Kermit

If they are PVC they are not really a 1.5" or .75".... You should use the white nylon fittings.. That said the cheap, odor permeating white PVC "sanitation" hose barely fits over the white nylon fittings so a soak in a coffee mug of hot water will do...

mad_machine 05-03-2013 10:59 AM

Re: Getting sanitation hose over fittings
 
not sure if this is a help.. but we use this stuff for pulling wire

IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Yellow 77 Wire Pulling Lubricant

Works well and gets sticky when it finally dries

Tim R. 05-03-2013 11:09 AM

Re: Getting sanitation hose over fittings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maine Sail (Post 1025043)
If they are PVC they are not really a 1.5" or .75".... You should use the white nylon fittings.. That said the cheap, odor permeating white PVC "sanitation" hose barely fits over the white nylon fittings so a soak in a coffee mug of hot water will do...

Hot water does the trick. If you tighten your hose clamps down while the hose is still pliable, the hose will conform to the barb and be impossible to remove without heat or cutting.

I would not use this hose myself. The Trident double wall #101 or #102 is a better hose to work with and will last longer.

chef2sail 05-03-2013 01:17 PM

Re: Getting sanitation hose over fittings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim R. (Post 1025083)
Hot water does the trick. If you tighten your hose clamps down while the hose is still pliable, the hose will conform to the barb and be impossible to remove without heat or cutting.

I would not use this hose myself. The Trident double wall #101 or #102 is a better hose to work with and will last longer.

Totally agree. The green stripe is the way to go.

kjzerr 05-03-2013 02:23 PM

Re: Getting sanitation hose over fittings
 
Thank you to all who responded. your suggestions have helped.

BTW, it is the Trident green stripe that I am using, not triton. My bad. :)

Tim R. 05-03-2013 02:25 PM

Re: Getting sanitation hose over fittings
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjzerr (Post 1025223)
Thank you to all who responded. your suggestions have helped.

BTW, it is the Trident green stripe that I am using, not triton. My bad. :)

Well then hot water will not help much. A little water soluble lube is the way to go. Maybe some dish detergent.

Seaduction 05-03-2013 03:33 PM

Re: Getting sanitation hose over fittings
 
Using these fittings keeps cursing to a minimum.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...t.do?pid=14702


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012