Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013

afrinus is on a distinguished road
Hauled the boat - What's this on my keel?

I hauled my 1986 Bene F26 on Thursday for a bottom painting job.
I noticed something on my keel (I believe steel) that I don't know what it is. See photo
This looks like a welding ridge on the keel - both sides look like this. Can anyone shed some light on this.

Also, I found three blisters. Two of them seemed to be just under the paint - they were very soft and flexible and burst with very little pressure. The third needed a hard poke with a screwdriver to burst. Once I removed most of the hull paint, I noticed that all three blisters are in previously repaired areas of the hull - see the photo.
Is this "normal" to see blisters in the previous repaired areas? or does this mean the repair was not up to snuff? Wrong epoxy used? (It's probably been 5 to 7 years since the last repair)
I plan to grind out the entire area (as marked on the photo) and redo the repair.
I also noticed that there are three other old blister repair sites (all much smaller than the one in the photo) that seems to be ok.

One more question - as I plan to coat the bottom with Pettite barrier paint before painting with Pettite Trinidad SR - what should the bottom prep look like.
I've stripped off the old ablative paint using Soy-strip and will sand with 60 grit paper to scuff up, but the question is, Must all signs of the old paint be gone - in other words virgin white gel coat, or is it ok to have some blush of the old black still showing?
Attached Thumbnails
Hauled the boat - What's this on my keel?-bene-f26-keel.jpg   Hauled the boat - What's this on my keel?-blister-repaired-blister.jpg  
Old 05-04-2013

c_witch is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to c_witch
Re: Hauled the boat - What's this on my keel?

Hi,

I did the bottom of my boat last spring with Petit high build epoxy. While most of the previous bottom paint was removed not all of it was. After being in the water last year about 5 1/2 months every thing appears fine. Mind you I did what was said and applies 3 coats of the barrier epoxy. I then used thier hard coat anti fouling.

c_witch
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2013

Thanks C-witch.
That's what I intend to do as well. Got enough to put on 3 coats of the barrier epoxy and two of the hard anti fouling paint.
My boat lives in fresh water - I hope to be "good" for years to come
Old 05-05-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

From the picture that just looks like a bubble in the paint from poor adhesion. Since you say this is on a "steel" (cast iron?) keel, it is probably fairing material you are seeing underneath and the bottom paint didn't stick well. As long as the bubble is only paint and not the gelcoat, its not a problem. Since you are planning to strip the bottom and put on a moisture barrier, read some of the threads about applying the first coat of bottom paint while the last barrier coat is still tacky to get good adhesion.
Old 05-05-2013

Jim
Thanks for the reminder on the "still sticky" barrier paint.

With regards the very uniform mark on the keel - no, thats not paint lifting. I'l cleen that area today with a wire brush, but it looks like a weld ridge.
The shape is exactly mirrored on the port side of the keel as well.
I wonder if there's some inspection cutout in the keel? This would have made more sense if this was a lead keel though...
Old 05-05-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

It seems that Beneteau used some kind of steel in their keels. What were they thinking?
I have seen a Bene 505 keel up close and the steel/iron rusts if not properly coated. The rust would cause the paint to fall off.
An optimal repair would be to remove most of the rust/oxidation, then barrier coat and paint.
I can't quite make out any ridges in the photos.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2013

celenoglu is on a distinguished road

Clean all the paint on the keel. Apply epoxy and you are done. Make sure you clean the rust to bare metal.
Old 05-05-2013

Mystery Solved.....

It turns out the "ridge" in the keel is a cut-out for the bilge.
In this photo of the sanded keel it is much more clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Hauled the boat - What's this on my keel?-bilge-outside.jpg   Hauled the boat - What's this on my keel?-bilge-inside.jpg  
Old 05-06-2013

pauloman is on a distinguished road

no need for an epoxy barrier coat - you don't have an osmotic blister problem which is what epoxy barrier coats are for. I would just sand down those blister sites, clean the surface well, and either solvent thinned epoxy sealer and bottom paint or just bottom paint

paul - progressive epoxy polymers inc
Old 05-06-2013

Hi Paul

Quote:
no need for an epoxy barrier coat - you don't have an osmotic blister problem
Isn't that the exact reason to put on an epoxy barrier coat? - Preventing future osmotic blister problems.

I dont have a major problem (other boats in the yard with 1000's of small blisters), but there has been blisters on on the boat in the past (there's 6 previous repair sites).

When would you consider a boat to have a "blister problem"?