SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   6hp outboard for a 25' boat? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99175-6hp-outboard-25-boat.html)

peterchech 05-05-2013 09:44 AM

6hp outboard for a 25' boat?

Past similar threads have had mixed answers.

Boat is hunter 25, 4400# planned displacement. Motor mostly used to get in and out of the marina, but occasionally against a 2 -2.5 knot current. I currently have a 9.9, which is more than enough power.

My fathers boat, a 32 footer with almost triple the displacement, has a 15 hp inboard which is just adequate for the coastal cruising and day sailing we do.

Is a 6 hp just too small to move my 25 footer against the 2 knot current and say a 15 knot headwind?

dabnis 05-05-2013 10:08 AM

Re: 6hp outboard for a 25' boat?

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterchech (Post 1025781)
Past similar threads have had mixed answers.

Boat is hunter 25, 4400# planned displacement. Motor mostly used to get in and out of the marina, but occasionally against a 2 -2.5 knot current. I currently have a 9.9, which is more than enough power.

My fathers boat, a 32 footer with almost triple the displacement, has a 15 hp inboard which is just adequate for the coastal cruising and day sailing we do.

Is a 6 hp just too small to move my 25 footer against the 2 knot current and say a 15 knot headwind?

I had a Coronado 25 at about 4,500 lbs in San Francisco Bay, lots of steep chop and big tides. Started with a 6HP which was OK in calm conditions. Later switched to a 15HP, same size and weight as the 9.9HP. It was plenty of power, the 9.9HP would probably been fine. Unless your 9.9 is sick, suggest you stay with it. If it is a 2 stroke it probably weighs about the same as a 4 stroke 6HP, about 60 lbs?

Paul T

rhr1956 05-05-2013 10:42 AM

It's all about keeping the prop in the water. If the shaft length and mount can keep the prop wet when it's bumpy, you'll be fine. I have a 6hp on my Pearson 26 (5400 lbs dry) and it does great, until the waves get big.

TQA 05-05-2013 10:57 AM

Make sure you get the saildrive version. bigger low pitch prop and sometimes with different lower unit gearing.

davisr 05-05-2013 07:54 PM

I would stick with the 9.9, if you can, for the same reasons mentioned by previous posters.

Shinook 05-05-2013 10:31 PM

We use a 6hp to push our 8000lb boat and it works fine, even in chop and with wind. We rarely use more than 30% power.

Most people buy outboards too big.

JimsCAL 05-05-2013 10:49 PM

Thrust is more important than HP. Most outboards are designed to be used with a power boat running at much higher speeds than a displacement sailboat. A "sail" or "high thrust" outboard will have a higher reduction ratio and a prop sized for maximum thrust at lower speeds. Such a 6HP outboard will be just fine.

oysterman23 05-05-2013 11:07 PM

Good points above. I have a Morgan 25 approx 5,000lb naked. With a long shaft Mariner 9.9 I have been able to maneuver reliably against current wind and or chop. Nice to have the higher thrust prop if you can....

davlafont 06-13-2013 07:28 PM

Peter,

I attempted to send you a PM, but I don't have the requisite number of posts yet. If you don't mind, here is a completely off-topic post in your thread:

Greetings Peter! I shot you a note from WBF, and then I remembered that you said this is your new hang.

I finally finished and splashed my GIS. I'm making plans to sail her out of Liberty State Park on August 10 (a Saturday). My purpose is to get some glamour shots with Lady Liberty to share with the GIS community. My brother, captain of S/V Flor D'Luna (34' Beneteau) will be the photographer/chase boat/emergency rescue.

Do you have any advice/tips/caveats about those waters? If you're out on the water that day, consider sailing by and giving us a wave*. If you still sail your outrigger, maybe we can dance!

Hope all is well (post-Sandy) and the summer treats you kindly.

Regards, Dave
(Feel free to PM me here or on WBF to keep this thread on track)

*Forgive the pun. I hope that doesn't touch a displacement hull nerve...

northoceanbeach 06-13-2013 07:35 PM

I have a 3500 pound boat with a four stroke six. I have to motor against current. It is more than enough. I have hardly had it past half throttle. I agree about keeping the prop in the water. That's the biggest issue, but then again, if its that choppy you should be sailing!