Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent? - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
  #1  
Old 05-05-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 83
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
Reefpoints is on a distinguished road
Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent?

These weird and hard to clean spots have formed on my deck. They form in random patches. Please see these photos:






It's really hard to get them off - lots of scrubbing that I'm sure damages what's left of my non-existent gelcoat.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this? What I can do to prevent them? Also, any good ideas on how to clean it other than scrubbing and FSR?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 05-05-2013
deniseO30's Avatar
Move over Joan Rivers!
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol pa
Posts: 6,015
Thanks: 51
Thanked 84 Times in 74 Posts
Rep Power: 9
deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent?

It's mold/mildew happens all the time seems like where ever boats are in the east. Power wash usually gets it off. hand scrub with "softscrub" works. tile cleaner works. white wall tire cleaner works too. but caustic. Seal and buff with "Woody Wax" I think is the most recommended.
__________________
Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club. New Website!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 05-05-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 83
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
Reefpoints is on a distinguished road
Re: Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent?

Mold!?!? Really! How the heck does that grow on the outside of a boat? I thought mold/mildew like cool damp places. The topside gets all kinds of UV and heat which I thought fungus didn't like.

I believe you, but wow - I just never would've figured. Thank you very much for the guidance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 05-05-2013
blutoyz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 640
Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 2
blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent?

I just used starbrite deck cleaner for this very issue.
Spray full strength, scrub with a deck brush, after 3 minutres of so just hose it off.

Simple like that

http://www.boatersland.com/images/ca...1222871481.jpg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 05-05-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kingston Washington
Posts: 505
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 5
Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road
Re: Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent?

ammonia works on mold too
__________________
Walt Elliott
Kingston WA
Puget Sound
Cal-29
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 05-05-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 83
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
Reefpoints is on a distinguished road
Re: Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoyz View Post
I just used starbrite deck cleaner for this very issue.
Spray full strength, scrub with a deck brush, after 3 minutres of so just hose it off.

Simple like that
I used that today - it helped but didn't take care of all of it. Since this was my first attempt to clean it - maybe I just need to reapply.

Now that I know what it is, I think I'll have an easier time figuring out what to use.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 05-05-2013
TropicCat's Avatar
Senior Pirate
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cape Canaveral, FL
Posts: 2,299
Thanks: 2
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 6
TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Re: Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpoints View Post
Mold!?!? Really! How the heck does that grow on the outside of a boat? I thought mold/mildew like cool damp places. The topside gets all kinds of UV and heat which I thought fungus didn't like.

I believe you, but wow - I just never would've figured. Thank you very much for the guidance!
Denise is right....mold.

Right now, get in your car and find the nearest "Dollar Store". They're practically on every street corner here in Florida.

Go to their spray cleaner section and buy a couple of bottles of "AWESUM CLEANER". Yep. yellow liquid. This will set you back all of 99 cents a bottle.

Spray on the mold, let sit a minute and wipe off. EZPZ. This stuff is highly concentrated citric acid. Totally biodegradeable. I've been using it on gelcoat for years. Warning, if you let it sit on painted areas, it will remove the paint.

This stuff was made to clean gelcoat... just sayin..
__________________
Tropic Cat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 05-05-2013
svHyLyte's Avatar
Old as Dirt!
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 2,650
Thanks: 11
Thanked 101 Times in 96 Posts
Rep Power: 6
svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpoints View Post
These weird and hard to clean spots have formed on my deck. They form in random patches. Please see these photos:






It's really hard to get them off - lots of scrubbing that I'm sure damages what's left of my non-existent gelcoat.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this? What I can do to prevent them? Also, any good ideas on how to clean it other than scrubbing and FSR?

Thanks!
It's called "Pinpoint Mold" and is growing in the pores in the GelCoat which is evidently very worn and has lost its glaze. Try covering it with paper towels soaked in chlorine from a pool company--not household bleach. The stuff will destroy the paper towel material quickly but should also destroy the mold if left over night.. Dose with a bit of Wink rust stain remover and then wash the area thoroughly with warm soapy water and rinse with fresh and then compound and polish. You've got to kill the mold spores and fill the Gelcoat pores. BTDT...
__________________
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 05-05-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 83
Thanks: 6
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
Reefpoints is on a distinguished road
Re: Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent?

I'll try the dollar store citrus cleaner first (thanks TropicCat), if that doesn't work I'll look for the stronger stuff that svHyLyte recommended.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 05-06-2013
blutoyz's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 640
Thanks: 10
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 2
blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
Denise is right....mold.

Right now, get in your car and find the nearest "Dollar Store". They're practically on every street corner here in Florida.

Go to their spray cleaner section and buy a couple of bottles of "AWESUM CLEANER". Yep. yellow liquid. This will set you back all of 99 cents a bottle.

Spray on the mold, let sit a minute and wipe off. EZPZ. This stuff is highly concentrated citric acid. Totally biodegradeable. I've been using it on gelcoat for years. Warning, if you let it sit on painted areas, it will remove the paint.

This stuff was made to clean gelcoat... just sayin..
I am going to try this for fine tuning my cockpit...Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply

Tags
spots


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black spots on the wood RossC32 Gear & Maintenance 12 08-24-2012 04:50 PM
Micro-balloons to prevent hard spots. Freerider Gear & Maintenance 1 06-16-2011 11:04 PM
Orange spots on deck - sunscreen WinterRiver Gear & Maintenance 6 07-31-2008 07:54 PM
At sea. Volvo Ocean Race: Brasil 1 spots spinnaker problems on Black Pearl @ BYM Sailing News NewsReader News Feeds 0 04-12-2006 02:15 PM
Crazying and Soft Spots on Deck GarrettK Gear & Maintenance 4 08-23-2004 12:57 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.