Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-05-2013

Reefpoints is on a distinguished road
Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent?

These weird and hard to clean spots have formed on my deck. They form in random patches. Please see these photos:

It's really hard to get them off - lots of scrubbing that I'm sure damages what's left of my non-existent gelcoat.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this? What I can do to prevent them? Also, any good ideas on how to clean it other than scrubbing and FSR?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Black / gray deck spots - how to fix / prevent?

It's mold/mildew happens all the time seems like where ever boats are in the east. Power wash usually gets it off. hand scrub with "softscrub" works. tile cleaner works. white wall tire cleaner works too. but caustic. Seal and buff with "Woody Wax" I think is the most recommended.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2013

Mold!?!? Really! How the heck does that grow on the outside of a boat? I thought mold/mildew like cool damp places. The topside gets all kinds of UV and heat which I thought fungus didn't like.

I believe you, but wow - I just never would've figured. Thank you very much for the guidance!
Old 05-05-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

I just used starbrite deck cleaner for this very issue.
Spray full strength, scrub with a deck brush, after 3 minutres of so just hose it off.

Simple like that

http://www.boatersland.com/images/ca...1222871481.jpg
Old 05-05-2013

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

ammonia works on mold too
Cal-29
Old 05-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoyz View Post
I just used starbrite deck cleaner for this very issue.
Spray full strength, scrub with a deck brush, after 3 minutres of so just hose it off.

Simple like that
I used that today - it helped but didn't take care of all of it. Since this was my first attempt to clean it - maybe I just need to reapply.

Now that I know what it is, I think I'll have an easier time figuring out what to use.
Old 05-05-2013
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpoints View Post
Mold!?!? Really! How the heck does that grow on the outside of a boat? I thought mold/mildew like cool damp places. The topside gets all kinds of UV and heat which I thought fungus didn't like.

I believe you, but wow - I just never would've figured. Thank you very much for the guidance!
Denise is right....mold.

Right now, get in your car and find the nearest "Dollar Store". They're practically on every street corner here in Florida.

Go to their spray cleaner section and buy a couple of bottles of "AWESUM CLEANER". Yep. yellow liquid. This will set you back all of 99 cents a bottle.

Spray on the mold, let sit a minute and wipe off. EZPZ. This stuff is highly concentrated citric acid. Totally biodegradeable. I've been using it on gelcoat for years. Warning, if you let it sit on painted areas, it will remove the paint.

This stuff was made to clean gelcoat... just sayin..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-05-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpoints View Post
These weird and hard to clean spots have formed on my deck. They form in random patches. Please see these photos:

It's really hard to get them off - lots of scrubbing that I'm sure damages what's left of my non-existent gelcoat.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this? What I can do to prevent them? Also, any good ideas on how to clean it other than scrubbing and FSR?

Thanks!
It's called "Pinpoint Mold" and is growing in the pores in the GelCoat which is evidently very worn and has lost its glaze. Try covering it with paper towels soaked in chlorine from a pool company--not household bleach. The stuff will destroy the paper towel material quickly but should also destroy the mold if left over night.. Dose with a bit of Wink rust stain remover and then wash the area thoroughly with warm soapy water and rinse with fresh and then compound and polish. You've got to kill the mold spores and fill the Gelcoat pores. BTDT...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-05-2013

I'll try the dollar store citrus cleaner first (thanks TropicCat), if that doesn't work I'll look for the stronger stuff that svHyLyte recommended.
Old 05-06-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
Denise is right....mold.

Right now, get in your car and find the nearest "Dollar Store". They're practically on every street corner here in Florida.

Go to their spray cleaner section and buy a couple of bottles of "AWESUM CLEANER". Yep. yellow liquid. This will set you back all of 99 cents a bottle.

Spray on the mold, let sit a minute and wipe off. EZPZ. This stuff is highly concentrated citric acid. Totally biodegradeable. I've been using it on gelcoat for years. Warning, if you let it sit on painted areas, it will remove the paint.

This stuff was made to clean gelcoat... just sayin..
I am going to try this for fine tuning my cockpit...Thanks

Tags
spots