Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-15-2004

HeartofGold is on a distinguished road
Feedback on Tiller Tamers

I am looking at a Tiller Tamer by Davis Instruments. I am intending to use this on an occational basis (when I need a minute or an extra hand). Can anyone comment on the functionality of this product, it''s strengths, weeknesses and limitaions?

As always, any and all feedback is welcome.

Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2004

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Doug,

I use one of these just about everytime I go out...I singlehand the majority of the time and it is a priceless piece of equipment for me. It enables me to abandon the tiller for quick jobs that I must do. As for strengths and weaknesses...I can''t really say that I have found any...I am guite satisfied with how it works under the limitations that it does have...those being that it is only for SHORT periods of time away from the tiller...it is not meant to steer the boat for you...it will only keep your tiller in the same position while you need two hands briefly.

Hope that helps with your decision.

Bobbi

s/v Kokopelli
Old 06-15-2004

Bobbi,

Yes, that''s exactly the kind of information I was seeking. I am not looking for $25 autopilot, simply a third hand when I need it.

A few more questions if you have the time:

When you installed the bracket, did you route a dado to accept the bottom of the piece, or did you just screw it to the tiller? And when you do sail, do you leave the guide lines attached and leave the tensioner loose? If so, does your line feed easily through the block as you steer? Do you use the original line provided or did you replace it with a finer, low-stretch line? Thanks in advance.

Doug
Old 06-15-2004

Doug,
I simply screwed it into the tiller...worked fine. Most of the time I leave the guide lines attached and loosen the tensioner...and yes, the line feeds through just fine...there are a few times that I will unattach the lines but not that often and I''m not sure that I can give a reason for when...I think it is usually just something that I have a feel for at the time.
The original line wore out awhile back and I replaced it with something as close to that line as possible.
I really can''t imagine trying to singlehand without it...I hope you find my input helpful.

Bobbi

S/v Kokopelli
Old 06-16-2004

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

I got a tiller tamer to steer briefly when I am singlehanding the boat, and it works fine for that purpose. I didn''t attach the TT in the way described by the maunfacturer. I screwed the fitting to the tiller, but I didn''t want to drill holes in the fiberglass to attach the other parts. Instead, I wrapped each of the rope ends around a stern pulpit stanchion and then connect the lines to the tiller fitting. The friction of the line on the stanchion is enough to make it work.
Old 06-16-2004

But what happens if you need to release the whole thing very quickly? Seems like the "wrapping around" would make that impossible. I like knowing that if I need to have control of the tiller in a instant I can release the lines immediately from the cam cleats.

Bobbi
Old 06-16-2004
Mr. Bill

e-27 sailor is on a distinguished road

In a previous posting under "Single-Handing from the dock", I mentioned the ''Tiller Tamer'' to assist in boat handling. The product I should have cited is called a ''Tiller Stay'' http://www.mv.com/ipusers/whale/tillerstay/ which I think is a better set-up.
Old 06-16-2004

jbanta is on a distinguished road

My first mate in an Autohelm 2000. I don''t think I could sail without it. I mostly single hand 90% if the time anyway. How is this system differnt from a tiller pilot like the Autohelm?
Old 06-17-2004

Jim,

The Tiller Tamer is a mechanically simple device which simply holds the tiller in place. It consists of a line run from one side of the transom to the other, through a block on the tiller inbetween, with an adjustible tensioner for the line. If my description was vague, you can see it at:

http://www.davisnet.com/marine/products/marine_product.asp?pnum=2205

This should not be confused with an autohelm of any type. It is a simple device intended to hold the tiller in a fixed position for a short period of time. Though easily adjustible, it is not a self-correcting mechanism.
Old 06-17-2004

Thank you all for your insights. You have all given me enough information to decide pretty much how I will attach it.

This may be overkill, but I will run the lines (45deg off the centered tiller) through cheek blocks ont the transom to V cleats. By using the cheek blocks I can direct the set line forward toward the cockpit for easier access. After inspecting the unit closer, I believe I will mount it on the underside of the tiller. Mounting it there may protect it from the elements (UV) more, but I also believe it will cause less chaff on the line. Finally, I replaced the original line with T-900, 6mm line. Should handle anything.

Of course, you opinions on this matter are still open for discussion, as my rudder is completely disassembled. I hope to have it back together in about a week and will then mount my new TT.

Doug
s/v Heart of Gold

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.