Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Butane camp stove in cabin

I have a small galley, and want to keep it simple (and inexpensive). Would it be safe to cook on a butane camp stove in the cabin, if we store the butane canister outside on the rail? Needless to say, I will only be cooking at anchor. I am mostly concerned about the safety having the gas canister in the cabin.
Old 05-06-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Butane camp stove in cabin

A non-pressurized alcohol stove would be much safer. A butane stove will be cheaper in the short run, but one mishap can more than wipe out that economy.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

I don't see a problem as long as you don't keep the open canisters inside. As soon as you finish cooking put it outside. oh and don't smoke or run with scissors.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 05-06-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I have a small galley, and want to keep it simple (and inexpensive). Would it be safe to cook on a butane camp stove in the cabin, if we store the butane canister outside on the rail? Needless to say, I will only be cooking at anchor. I am mostly concerned about the safety having the gas canister in the cabin.
I have the same concerns about my 2 propane stoves, one gimballed and one camp-style 2 burner. I have resolved those concerns by only using the stoves below decks with full ventilation and a breeze - front hatch and companionway open, or by moving the 2 burner camp-style stove to the cockpit for cooking. I store the propane cannisters in the open cockpit storage bins so there is no danger of leakage below decks.
Old 05-06-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
I think you're going about it sensibly, and will be ok.
Just store the cans outside (but don't let them get rusty) and try to have some ventilation while you're cooking.

You could install a CO detector if you're really worried, but I think it's overkill.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-06-2013

zilla is on a distinguished road

I use two butane camping stoves side by side in my boat - both single burners and very cheap. The canisters are stored in a proper air tight compartment near the transom and vented overboard. I built separate compartments for each with a lid to give extra bench space when not using the stoves. They are gimballed with a lead weight under the support frame. I also made some stainless retaining pot rails that bolt to each stove top. The red cap from the butane canister is left on the bench top while using the stove to serve as a reminder that a canister is inside the cabin. If the stove is not in use the rule for us is that the canister goes outside into the storage compartment. We also ensure there is always good ventilation within the galley.
Barquito likes this.
Old 05-06-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Here's a marine butane stove. Not sure what they did to get it ABYC approved. At least it shows that butane can be used in cabins. No bargain however.

Seaward Princess 1-Burner Built-In Butane Stove
wdwright1967 likes this.
Old 05-06-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Zilla - Do you have any pictures of your setup?

I also have a bilge fan I could run after cooking. Seems like an evil science experiment cooking with heavier than air gas almost on top of a gasoline engine (A4).
Old 05-06-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

When I was hunting for boat insurance I had to provide picture proof that the cabin did NOT contain any stove. (Whatever was built in by the manufacturer was removed by PO's.
Old 05-06-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Barquito-
The butane burners are arguably reasonably safe. The cans are sealed metal that is only pierced by the stove when you insert them, so in theory they are quite leak resistant until used. (Although I've seen sealed R12 cans like that leak after 20+ years "through" the metal seal.)
After you've inserted the can in the stove, in theory you'd need to store the entire stove outside since the can has been pierced and you are relying on the seal. I don't underestimate the danger of gasses, but would mention I know a number of boats that use and store those same stoves, with gas in them, for years with no problem. I'd suggest a larger Tupperware container to store the whole thing, since that would tend to keep gas in and keep moisture out as well.
The invisible flame from alcohol seems to set more boats on fire (and boaters) than anything else in a galley. And takes forever to cook, too.

Take a look at the stove, and the seal, and for $25, hey, if you change your mind and take it home...worse things happen.