SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Anyone tried Star Brite Instant Hull Cleaner?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  JimsCAL 
#1 ·
My boat is still on the hard and it still has some slime from where the power washer missed (read, under the lifting straps) last season. So its hard. I got a lot of it off with a soft sponge and water, but a thin layer remains.

The bottom paint is Baltoplate, a hard, non-ablative paint. I'm looking for something that can effectively remove the dried slime but not damage the paint. The guy at West Marine recommended this Star Brite Instant Hull Cleaner. I bought some, but I figured before I open it (its pricy) I would see what you all think.

If you used it, did it damage your paint?

#4 · (Edited)
fold the paper so it is a little stiffer and lightly sand with 220 wet and it will cut off only the high stuff that you are trying to remove it will take of the stuff that is no top of the paint. you might also consider that after you launch the dried stuff will soften and come off when you clean the bottom.

#5 ·
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'll try a small area and see how it goes. Yes the slime might soften and come off when the diver cleans it. But I have an obnoxious ring of scum/slime around the waterline that never seems to go away, and I want to get rid of that as well.

#6 ·
may need to raise your boot strip and bottom paint a bit to cure the ring of slime. then periodically take a soft brush with soft scrub and go around the hull. then scrub with salt water to rinse. had the same trouble (two boats ago) where the boat always lined up so one side was never in the sun and all kinds of stuff grew.

#7 ·
I've used Mary Kate On Off, FSR and a lot of other products for that kind of cleaning, all contain acid of one type or the other, not one has ever hurt a paint.
IIRC oxalic acid attacks proteins - i.e. not paint. FSR is basically rubbing alcohol and oxalic acid in a gel. It didn't even mess with my varnish but it cleaned the heck out of the slime and such on the ring around the bottom and my topsides.
I don't use Balto so can't swear to that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.