SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Our winter "to do" list...Done (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99263-our-winter-do-list-done.html)

josrulz 05-07-2013 02:49 PM

Our winter "to do" list...Done

From time to time I like to post about the stuff we've gotten done over the winter, mostly because it helps me personally recap. It's also nice to say all these things to a group of people who understand what I'm talking about! :)

This year, we had a new baby right before the end of the season, so for the first time since we've owned the boat, we didn't plan on doing many big projects over the winter. So here's the list of "not many projects" that we did. Some of them are small, but they add up:

- Removed, rebuilt, and replaced cockpit drains, including new hoses (I have to mention this was all in the tiny aft lazarette--much fun!)
- Removed traveler clam cleats and replaced with Spinlock PXR cam cleats - this included the need to seal two existing holes with epoxy gelcoat the tops, plus drilling and sealing the core for 4 holes, cutting the headliner and plugging to look good, etc.
- Winterize boat, de-rig, cover with Fairclough cover
- Rebed a chainplate cover
- Re-epoxy 3 hose/wiring mounting boards in the aft lazarette
- Check/service steering quadrant
- Remove, paint, replace cowl vents
- New shaft zincs
- New keel cooler sincs
- New engine zincs
- New fuel filters
- Replace oil seal in raw water pump
- New impeller
- Paint knot meter transducer
- Clean paint prop/shaft with Zinc Coat Barnacle Barrier
- Touch up bottom paint and paint waterline (this is an off-year, don't need full paint)
- Check centerboard/pendant
- Wash, compound/buff, and wax hull
- Clean waterline
- Clean stains on transom
- Replace cover over centerboard pendant winch
- Replace cover over main battery switch
- Remove Fairclough cover
- Re-rig the boat (mainsail, genoa, dodger, bimini frame and bimini)
- Remove unused clutch from cabin top and seal holes
- Service both sink seacocks
- Dewinterize boat

Anyway, thanks for listening! We splashed this morning and are happy to be on the water again.
Cheers,
J

katsailor 05-07-2013 02:53 PM

Re: Our winter "to do" list...Done

:):):):):)

ccriders 05-07-2013 03:14 PM

You left out cleaning the floors, ceilings, walls, bilge, deck, lockers.....
Amazing the amount of just routine stuff one has to do. You have a nice boat, so I'm sure you enjoyed your time with it.

josrulz 05-07-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccriders (Post 1026871)
You left out cleaning the floors, ceilings, walls, bilge, deck, lockers.....
Amazing the amount of just routine stuff one has to do. You have a nice boat, so I'm sure you enjoyed your time with it.

Thank you ccriders. And you're right there's so much more. Listing it out helps because my list of "to dos" is still HUGE. At this this way I can see that I got a lot done, and you can't really ask for more than that no matter how much more there is.

dvuyxx 05-07-2013 05:45 PM

Congrats on the baby. Your new child too!

chucklesR 05-07-2013 05:50 PM

Just for the record, the winter is done, or the list is done?

T37Chef 05-07-2013 06:00 PM

Congrats...feels good to write all things completed down doesnt it? I would but it might casue the forum to crash...plus I am not technically complete yet, in fact the list just get longer...new bimini has been added as of last weekend...arrgg ;)

Faster 05-07-2013 07:21 PM

We don't haul over the winters, so it's difficult to imagine what that whole routine entails... Must feel great to get back in/on the water again!

josrulz 05-08-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 1026933)
Just for the record, the winter is done, or the list is done?

For a while I thought neither would end! Finally it's a little warm out, and the winter list is complete. The spring list hasn't even been started yet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by T37Chef (Post 1026937)
Congrats...feels good to write all things completed down doesnt it? I would but it might casue the forum to crash...plus I am not technically complete yet, in fact the list just get longer...new bimini has been added as of last weekend...arrgg ;)

I know the list keeps getting longer and longer, even while I get more efficient at the projects. Maybe that's why the list is getting longer. Hmmmm...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1026976)
We don't haul over the winters, so it's difficult to imagine what that whole routine entails... Must feel great to get back in/on the water again!

That would be nice. We keep our boat in our community for a very low cost. The down side is that the docks close in winter, so we really need to haul. Plus, with a 29 year old boat, there's always something to get done.

My goal for next winter is to start the projects EARLY, and try to launch very early, so there's minimal impact on our sailing season. It might be impossible, but I'm going to try. We'll see...
-J

pfile 05-08-2013 01:45 PM

Hi Josrulz,

I have an 86 S30. How did you do the gelcoat replacement? How did you match the Sabre color?

Thanks