SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Mast sheave box question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99289-mast-sheave-box-question.html)

JoeLena 05-08-2013 07:32 AM

Mast sheave box question
 
On my small O'day Rhodes 19 the halyards run through the mast and exit the lower sheave box. When I received the boat the box was not attached to the mast, although there are small holes in both the mast and sheave box. What is the correct way to attach the sheave box to the mast?

http://www.joehendershott.com/assets/misc/sheave.jpg

knothead 05-08-2013 08:01 AM

Re: Mast sheave box question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeLena (Post 1027140)
On my small O'day Rhodes 19 the halyards run through the mast and exit the lower sheave box. When I received the boat the box was not attached to the mast, although there are small holes in both the mast and sheave box. What is the correct way to attach the sheave box to the mast?

http://www.joehendershott.com/assets/misc/sheave.jpg

Joe, are there flanges on the fitting? I think that you may have it inside out in your photo. Normally, the sheaves will be inside the mast and the flanges outside and it's either screwed or riveted through the flanges and to the mast.

JoeLena 05-08-2013 08:09 AM

Re: Mast sheave box question
 
It should be in there correctly. There are no flanges. The existing holes line up like I have it and the 'open' side has to point out for the halyards to go through.

Perhaps there were originally rivets there and the PO drilled them out? Just really small.

knothead 05-08-2013 08:13 AM

Re: Mast sheave box question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeLena (Post 1027154)
It should be in there correctly. There are no flanges. The existing holes line up like I have it and the 'open' side has to point out for the halyards to go through.

Perhaps there were originally rivets there and the PO drilled them out? Just really small.

Joe, I'm seeing the holes in the mast, but what holes on the sheave box are they lining up with if not holes in flanges?

JoeLena 05-08-2013 08:16 AM

Re: Mast sheave box question
 
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The holes line up in the photo, I'm just not sure what fasteners to use. Looks like rivets would be it.

Hudsonian 05-08-2013 11:57 AM

Re: Mast sheave box question
 
I'd try pop rivets because they'd be so easy to install.

JoeLena 05-08-2013 12:17 PM

Re: Mast sheave box question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudsonian (Post 1027257)
I'd try pop rivets because they'd be so easy to install.

Sounds like a plan.

zz4gta 05-08-2013 06:17 PM

Re: Mast sheave box question
 
where does your forestay attach to?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012