Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mind Your Hi-Tech Splices!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Use a knot. Retie every few years, moving all chafe points in the process. Easy.
... or use a knot and forgo the shackle.... cheaper.....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
Ever thought about replacing your T-900 with 10MM Yale Crystalyne. 130 ft halyard at $1.95/foot is $253.50 plus splice I'd definitely use thimbles with the vectran core of Crystalyne. Minimal creep compared to T-900 with same breaking strength. Sailed a few Macs on a First 42. They are beasts going uphill in a blow.
Not a bad suggestion but we have no reason to replace perfectly serviceable halyards at this point.

By "beast" I'm not sure whether you are complimenting or complaining. We've carried the yacht to weather with a 100% and double reefed main with 40 knots over the deck without particular difficulty or discomfort although it was admittedly a bit wet on deck (thank goodness for a good dodger!). Below it was notably quiet and quite unremarkable until one emerged into the tempest. (one crew, at the change of watch, commented "Holy Shoot, What the He_l Happened?) Friends of ours, with our sister-ship, Ocean Angel, carried their #3 spinnaker in 30 knots for 20+ hours in the 2009 Regatta del Sol al Sol, making up to 14 knots at times, without particular difficulty. As Frers commented, the early and mid-1980's era First 42's are some of his best work.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-13-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
... or use a knot and forgo the shackle.... cheaper.....
A: We've no shortage of polished forged shackles; B. We like to be able to release the halyards from the sails when they are not needed and run them up to the masthead with a messenger to get them out of the weather (didn't I mention this before?)

(Faster--Don't push it. I've conceded to knots when I don't like them. Let well enough alone, eh?)

The take-away from this Thread should not be simply the chronicle of my own misadventure but a heads-up to those who may be relying on high-tech lines in a manner that is not suitable for the line due to misunderstandings. I/We were fortunate that our Halyard blew-out on a nice, sunny, warm afternoon with middling winds and light seas. We were able to recover and re-set our sail and make our way without undue difficulty once we recovered from the surprise. Had we blown that halyard at night, in a squall or storm, in big seas, mid-way between heck and gone, when we really needed that sail, it might have been an entirely different story. The take away is Mind Your Hi-Tech Splices. They might not be what, or as strong/reliable as, they seem.

Here Homer Nods...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 05-14-2013 at 10:35 AM.