Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Remove your masking tape!

Just a timely reminder that if you leave it "on" for a few weeks... you may wind up with a sticky mess!

Also, I've switched over to "Frog Tape" I does seem to do as advertised.
T37Chef, dacap06, jimgo and 1 others like this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2013
Fresh water refugee

katsailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Remove your masking tape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Just a timely reminder that if you leave it "on" for a few weeks... you may wind up with a sticky mess!

Also, I've switched over to "Frog Tape" I does seem to do as advertised.
I don't want to ask how you learned this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Shakti '81 Offshore Cat Ketch 33'
Old 05-08-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

LOL years ago.. I think many of us are guilty, of leaving tape on too long.

my current "project"!
Old 05-08-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Denise, do you find the frog tape leaves less behind?
Old 05-08-2013

RickGUSVI is on a distinguished road

Guilty. Murphys oil soap and water with a hair dryer on warm has helped me get masking tape off of wood in the past.

Cheers, RickG
Old 05-08-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
guilty here to...does make for some interesting vocabulary though don't ya think

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-08-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

Even worse is the tape they use to put the plastic winter covers on the boat.

It took me two hours to get the tape off the rub rail and there is still some spots of sticky residue ideally located to remove leg hair when your hiking.

Old 05-08-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

denise, 3M are very up front about this.

Plain "beige" masking tape is pretty much designed to go on today, come off tomorrow. And the stuff in the sale bin is often old and gummy before your start.

Then they make blue tape and green tape, the blue tape can go longer and leave a finer line than the beige, the green tape is more flexible, and "Frog" targeted that green tape market. Offhand I think both are rated for one week by 3M.

But then 3M also makes a silver masking tape. Damned expensive but rated for a month in the sun--and I can tell you it does work. We masked a deck on one weekend, it rained on the next, the paint went down on the third, but we couldn't get back to strip the tape until the fourth. And it peeled like it had just been laid down.

The Frog folks claim they use a special additive which "clots" when the moisture from latex wall paint hits it, to leave a very clean sharp line. On a boat, that shouldn't matter.

I know 3M aren't the only good brand in the business, but when it comes to adhesives and the like, I know I can trust their product and their 800# will get me fast answers to any question about any product they make.
Old 05-08-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road

Let the young'n. Help you out. You can leave your tape on for months, even duck tape. The only the you need to make sure you have is.... MINERAL OIL! Yepp, plain ol mineral oil and a little scrubbbing, not much, takes all the residue rgiht off.

I left duck and electrrical tape around the plastic covering open dorade holes for like 2to mnths. When i finally got the dorade vents to install and removed the tape was nothing but residue. I tried everything and it was taking FOREVER to do a little bit. Guy at my marina walking bu sees my struggles and tells me to use mineral spirits. Luckyy for me i have some in the cabin. Poor a little on my scrub pad and bam! It starts falling away like maguc!

So there you go. No more tape worries. Yes it works for 3myou tape too and lots of other stuff you may not think it would apply to.
Old 05-08-2013

OPossumTX is on a distinguished road

Mineral OIL and mineral SPIRITS are two different things. Both can help remove old tape but mineral oil will leave an oily residue that may be nearly as troublesome as the tape. Mineral spirits will dissolve most tape residue and leave very little behind if you clean it well. Mineral spirits is pretty flammable, mineral oil, not so much.

Mineral spirits is a solvent that will dissolve the tape residue and let you mop it up with a rag or paper towel. Unfortunately, it will also dissolve some paints and damage some plastics. So, test some on the same type of surface you are planning to use it on before you make a major commitment and find that your shiny topside paint is dissolving and headed for the bilge or worse yet, into the water where it can mess up other things.

Mineral Oil is an oil that will keep the adhesive from sticking to itself or anything else. There is some solvent action but not much.

Mineral oil is available in medical grade from any pharmacy. It can also help release stuck up sailors if that is a problem.

Mineral Spirits is available from about any paint or hardware store.
Jgbrown likes this.

Last edited by OPossumTX; 05-08-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: To add caution about some paints.