SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Galley water pump stopped (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99299-galley-water-pump-stopped.html)

rbrasi 05-08-2013 02:36 PM

Galley water pump stopped

So, I went sailing yesterday and spent the better part of four hours heeled over. When I returned I tried to wash my hands in the galley sink and some water came out, then stopped. The pump was still laboring, but the water didn't flow. Someone here told me that the vent for my fresh water tank is blocked, but I can't even find it. Does that sound about right? There is definitely water in there, it just won't make it's way to the pump (which is below the sink at floor level).

GeorgeB 05-08-2013 02:50 PM

Re: Galley water pump stopped

Rbrasi, I can’t give you any specifics for your particular boat but here are some thoughts. The vent lines for your water tanks should be connected to the top of each tank. You can test for a clogged vent line by unscrewing the fill cover and trying the pump again. If you get water flow, with this, then your vent is plugged and you need to trace it and unplug it. If that doesn’t isolate the problem then you may have an inline filter that is plugged. This filter is there to protect the pump and most likely is located “just upstream” of the pump. Your Cal is pretty old and there are probably more than one previous owner mod made to your boat. You may have to do some more trouble shooting. No matter what, a day on the boat (even maintenance days) are better than a day in the office.

Faster 05-08-2013 03:05 PM

If you were heeled over extensively then maybe the pump has simply lost suction. As George said without knowing the specifics of your system it's gong to be difficult to diagnose.

Seaduction 05-08-2013 03:17 PM

My initial thoughts are that the pump needs primed.

SlowButSteady 05-08-2013 03:39 PM

You might have knock some scale/sediment loose while you were sailing and it's now clogging the intake. Or something shifted around and a hose is pinched.

poopdeckpappy 05-08-2013 04:38 PM

You may have to crack all faucets and let the pump cycle till air is out of the lines, then close each faucet, do the head first, close the cold first then hot, then go to the galley and do the same thing, cold first, then hot

lajimo 05-09-2013 12:40 PM

Galley water pump stopped

Very similar thing happened to me recently and it turned out to be gunk in the bottom of the tank that shifted around and clogged up the tank outlet. Quick check is to disconnect your water line at the tank outlet -if it doesn't flow freely then that's your issue. I reversed my wet vac and blew into the line and it freed right up.

tommays 05-09-2013 02:24 PM

There should be and intake screen as it tends to be easy to jam the check valves inside the pump with small chunks of stuff

The new ones have clear cover IF you can not find one I would thing something clogged the outlet check valve hence the laboring pump

rbrasi 05-10-2013 10:20 AM

I did like George B said and removed the fill cover and it ran, which leads me to believe it is the vent. I closed it, the water still flows but the pump makes a horrible noise. I had to leave the boat for a couple of weeks, so I can't address it for a while. I tried to follow the line to find a filter, but it disappears through bulkheads. I told this to an old salt and his response: 'well, it's a sailboat'