Recommendations needed - baby/infant PFD and harnesses - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommendations needed - baby/infant PFD and harnesses

Interesting...NJ doesn't draw a size distinction:

In addition to the previously listed requirements, any child 12 years of age or younger must WEAR a properly fitted U.S. Coast Guard approved PFD whenever the vessel is underway. If the child is inside a fully enclosed cabin that is a permanent, non-removable part of the vessel that is designed to carry passengers, then the child is not required to wear the PFD.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
I am not necassarily in disagrrement that a infant should wear a PFD, but it is not required by law in Maryland so your statement is incorrect.

"Effective April 1, 2010, Maryland law states that all children under the age of 13 must WEAR a United States Coast Guard approved Personal Flotation Device (life jacket - Type I, II, III or V) while underway on a recreational vessel under 21 feet in length on Maryland waters. Recreational vessel includes motorboats, sailboats, canoes, kayaks, rowboats, and any other device capable of being used for transportation on the water, when the vessel is being used for other than commercial purposes. The life jacket must be the proper size for the child and must be in good and serviceable condition.

This requirement does not apply when:

A vessel is moored or anchored.
A child is below deck or in an enclosed cabin.

Also a child under the age of 4 must wear a PFD which features additional safety precautions, as appropriate for an infant, toddler, or young child, so as to:

hold the child securely within the PFD, including a strap that is secured between the child's legs to fasten together the front and back of the PFD;
maintain the buoyancy of the child, including an inflatable headrest or high collar; or
ensure the ready accessibility of the child from the vessel, including a web handle.

This does not apply to a vessel that is moored or anchored or a child who is below deck or in an enclosed cabin. "

Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Boating

Of course conditions/sea state, where you are sailing, type of boat, etc should all be considered when choosing where, when, what a child/infant should be in a PFD or Harness
that your government for you. glade to see that boats over 21' in that state don't sink, thats good to know. here it is 26' like most laws I just don't get how they come up with this stuff

Last edited by overbored; 05-08-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2013

pcarlson is on a distinguished road

When you get a pfd for the little one make sure it has a croche strap and that you/they use it. Kids body shape is not quite the same as adults. All too often when the child goes in the water they reach up for help and slip out of the pfd. Of the parent/adult trying to rescue the child grabs the pfd because it is handy or feels more secure and when the pull the child slips out and goes down an the adult has only the pfd. This may become more of an issue as they get older and more mobil. Just me 2 cents worth.
Old 05-08-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
that your government for you. glade to see that boats over 21' in that state don't sink, thats good to know. here it is 26' like most laws I just don't get how they come up with this stuff
Like I said, I was pointing out that your statement was incorrect. I'm not sure why you feel the need to be sarcastic?

In the summer on the Chesapeake it can reach temps over 90 degrees often, and not uncommon to see temps over 100 in August. Add to that high humidity and it makes for a pretty sweltering heat index. When its that hot out, usually we just don't go sailing, but when we have its coolest below decks anyway therefore no need in my opinion for a PFD, even while underway. The PFDs are readily available if needed, for example a fast approaching thunderstorm, then they go on. But at 100+ degrees the PFD could cause a young child/infant to become overheated and suffer heat exhaustion too?

I think one should follow the laws and use common sense and good judgment.
chef2sail and jameswilson29 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-08-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

My son wears one of the orange Cal June/Jim Buoy harnesses with the crotch strap. I agree with T37Chef, you should be concerned about your child developing heat stroke. Small children are more susceptible to heat-related illness, and you need to be careful in hot weather. We always watch him very carefully on board.

Our son wears a PFD with crotch strap in cool weather and in all weather on the dock and when he boards and leaves the boat. In the heat of summer, it is harness only once he gets on the boat. In addition to our concerns about his safety and healthy, we also want him to enjoy sailing and feel comfortable on the boat.

Here he is in both, as we motor out of Urbanna Creek:

Last edited by jameswilson29; 05-08-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

I would always use the infant mustang jacket whenever they were on deck- even at dock, and at all times under way. The jacket had a crotch strap- make sure to use it. I would tie a tether onto the jacket- would keep them on the boat- but be sure you could releas quickly- in case the boat were to get knocked down or to sink suddenly by collision.

Never take your eyes off the kids, even for a second when they are on deck.
Old 05-08-2013
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the recommendations and food for thought folks. As always, I appreciate it!

T37Chef, we might take you up on your generous offer for the lifejacket. Either way, thank you!

While I don't think we can fit a pack n play on the boat, anyone have additional recommendations for infant sleeping set-up? At months, he's sleeping in a crib or pack n play at home. I have a few ideas, but would love to hear from the experience of the group.

Thanks!
-J
Old 05-09-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Pack-n-plays are relatively inexpensive; can you modify one to fit? It seems like such a great solution! I know several people have talked about setting it up in the vee berth.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-09-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

When we had our pack & play in use, it very conveniently fit in the salon because the table folded up onto the bulkhead. This is an ideal location becasue the motion of the boat is best in the center and down low. A V berth area is fine if the weather is clam, but in a rough sea you could see the toddler doing some acrobatics LOL

Our boat has a pilot berth that served well, still does actually. My wife made a mesh type Lee Cloth that kept them well contained even in some rough weather. A few pillows here and there and they slept like rocks even in the worst conditions.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-09-2013

TTC is on a distinguished road

We put our infants in baby seats, bungee corded the seat in the cockpit, and then tethered the seat on a short enough line that it couldn't get out of the cockpit:

When they got older (and mobile), we would use a PFD and harness, and tether the harness to a hard point in the cockpit:

If the kids went below (where we did keep a pack-and-play), they could take their PFD off. And we never took the kids out in rough conditions -- it was always fairweather sailing with the kids. (At least that was our intent. My wife would argue that we did take them out a few times when we shouldn't have!)