SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Mainsail Cover Mast Closure (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99319-mainsail-cover-mast-closure.html)

jimgo 05-09-2013 10:46 AM

Mainsail Cover Mast Closure

The mainsail cover that came with our boat is pretty shot. Teeth are missing from the zipper, there are tears near some of the closures, and the body had holes in it. I did some temporary repairs a few weeks ago, but the tears near the closures don't give me a lot of confidence in its longevity. I purchased some Sunbrella in the appropriate color (Wheat) and will be making a new cover that is pattererned after the old cover, but I have a question about how to close the part that goes around the mast. On the current cover (I don't know its age) there are twist closures along the bottom, and zippers and snaps along the mast. I assume the snaps are there in case the zipper gives way. On the new cover, I was considering putting velcro along the mast closure instead of a zipper. Is this a bad idea? If so, why?

Alex W 05-09-2013 11:00 AM

Re: Mainsail Cover Mast Closure

I don't think velcro will hold up as long as the rest of the cover does. The hooks also have a tendency to grab and tear apart rough synthetic fabrics like Sunbrella (though I haven't tried it with Sunbrella specifically).

I'd use a zipper or just "Lift the Dot" (or twist style) type fasteners. I was once intimidated by zippers, but following the Sailrite instructions made it pretty easy. One boat that I sail on a lot has a zipper, the other has twist style, and I don't notice a big difference in them.

I like sewing, but this guy on eBay practically gives away sail covers:
PACIFIC BLUE JIB BAG, FOREST GREEN JIB BAG items in THE SAIL COVER STORE store on eBay!

We have one on the Catalina 25 and it's pretty nice. Good fabric (it's Sunbrella), but I did have to do a better job attaching some of the twist closures. It has a zipper at the mast and twist closures along the bottom. There is no vinyl liner near the mast as on the best sail covers.

bljones 05-09-2013 11:25 AM

I don't like velcro for closures because it collects spiderwebs, lint, general crap, and because of this starts to fail from the moment it is installed. On our MS cover we have a zipper with a webbing strap sewn into the top cuff of the cover and a nylon snap release buckle, - simple and looks good and works, but I think that this is overkill. If I need to make another sail cover, I would go with simple lanyard closure at the top cuff. zip it up, pull the lanyard tight and tie it up.

bristol299bob 05-09-2013 11:52 AM

Agree that velcro is not the way to go here.

Zippers are nice but I've found that they will fail before the sunbrella will. I prefer the twist fasteners over zippers and or lift-a-dot. The twist fasteners are secure and will last the lifetime of the cover.

Philzy3985 05-09-2013 12:22 PM

Another vote for NO ON VALCRO

Twist fasteners. Maybe valro in between each fastener if you have extra time and want to test which lasts longer to clear your mind.

Barquito 05-09-2013 12:57 PM

Mine has zipper on the mast part with a draw string on the top. If you are going to sew a zipper, look for the cushion sewing instructions on sailrite.

beachmont 05-09-2013 01:30 PM

Mainsail Cover Mast Closure

I just got one made and they put Velcro on the flaps that cover both the mast zippers and the lazy jack line zippers

TejasSailer 05-09-2013 04:55 PM

If the twist fasteners, aka common sense fasteners, are used occasional Teflon lubrication might keep the fasteners functional longer.

zz4gta 05-10-2013 09:56 AM

I use plastic snap hooks on the bottom. And I made the sail cover so it wouldn't fit around the front of the mast. Nothing to protect up there, just need it on the sail. Way easier to make. Add a tie on either end and some grommets, done.

fallard 05-10-2013 10:26 AM

Another vote for twist fasteners. Plastic fasteners, zippers, and particularly velcro don't last as long.