SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

rebuilding compass

6K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Christian Williams 
#1 ·
Recently I purchased two Ritchie BN-202 compasses off Ebay. They looked just as bad in the shipping box as they did on Ebay. Domes had spider cracks, bezels were oxidized and the LED bracket was broke on one. I have rebuilt one. The rebuilding consist of new dome, bellows, fluid and LED bracket. A little Mcquires magic plastic goop on the bezel makes the bezel nice and black. There is a tiny little bubble in the fluid, its about
the size of the tip of a sharp #2 lead pencil. I have tried for several days to get that little sucker out and I have failed.
So the question is this, how does one get that little bubble out?

#3 ·
Do you know if Isopar L® could be used to refill a Saura hand bearing compass? I have one that my father bought in the eighties that now has an air bobble almost as big as the compass card. I would love to drain and refill the compass so it could be used on the new to me boat. Might also need to find a replacement for the pressure bladder.

#6 ·
That is a lot of fluid. Maybe that is how Ritchie does it. I was
thinking, maybe a flexible tube screwed into the filling hole, add
fluid to the tube, then rotate/rock the compass while holding
the tube upright until the bubble is gone.

#8 ·
Yes, a Syringe

Fill a syringe with just enough oil, then rotate the compass until the fill hole is on top, shake or tap it a little to release any trapped bubble, remove the tap screw, fill with oil from the syringe, cap it, shake or tap it, if there is any bubbles repeat but, you'll probably release them the first time.

#10 ·
I can't find that little sucker this morning.
Guess he got absorbed into the fluid.

More than likely he will appear when the temperatures changes.

I'll post a picture of the two compasses, before and after the rebuild.

#11 ·
OK as promised and I know you all have been waiting for the pictures.
These are not retouched or photoshop. Yes the difference between before and after is truly amazing.

Attachments

Reactions: jimgo
#14 ·
The rebuilding consist of new dome, bellows, fluid and LED bracket. A little Mcquires magic plastic goop on the bezel makes the bezel nice and black.
were did you get the domes, factory?

Also do you have a link for the stuff you used to fix the black plastic?

#15 ·
I bought the parts from the factory, Ritchie & Sons. I'd have to look around for the cost. Wait I used paypal. About $160 for two rebuild kits which included the dome, bellows, o-rings, led holder, and two quarts of fluid. I don't have a link for the magic plastic goop.
A guy at work has been rebuilding an old car in the warehouse. He had some which I tried. Hopefully its still there as I need to polish the second compass. If its there I'll post the info.

#16 ·
Reactions: davidpm
#20 ·
I replaced a diaphram on a compass years ago. The compass manufacturer wanted me to send the compass in to have it done, saying I would never get enough fluid back in to prevent a bubble. They mentioned putting the fluid in the freezer for a DIY'er but I found an easier method.

Tape a string onto the diaphram. Pour the fluid in while pulling on the diaphram a bit. Fill the compass up. As you're putting the plug back in, have it facing up and release the diaphram a bit to so that fluid is spilling out of the plug while you're tightening it up. No bubbles on the first try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.