SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   rebuilding compass (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99323-rebuilding-compass.html)

Captainmeme 05-09-2013 03:33 PM

rebuilding compass

Recently I purchased two Ritchie BN-202 compasses off Ebay. They looked just as bad in the shipping box as they did on Ebay. Domes had spider cracks, bezels were oxidized and the LED bracket was broke on one. I have rebuilt one. The rebuilding consist of new dome, bellows, fluid and LED bracket. A little Mcquires magic plastic goop on the bezel makes the bezel nice and black. There is a tiny little bubble in the fluid, its about
the size of the tip of a sharp #2 lead pencil. I have tried for several days to get that little sucker out and I have failed.
So the question is this, how does one get that little bubble out?

T37Chef 05-09-2013 03:52 PM

Re: rebuilding compass

I have be told by the folks who reconditioned mine recently that they add the liquid under pressure to get ride of all air bubbles. They use Isopar LŪ as Ritchie does now

Frequently Asked Questions

egent 05-09-2013 04:41 PM

Do you know if Isopar L® could be used to refill a Saura hand bearing compass? I have one that my father bought in the eighties that now has an air bobble almost as big as the compass card. I would love to drain and refill the compass so it could be used on the new to me boat. Might also need to find a replacement for the pressure bladder.

T37Chef 05-09-2013 04:45 PM

You can mix Isopar with Mineral Spirits per the Richie link above so I would guess yes

celenoglu 05-09-2013 05:12 PM

Immerse the whole compass in the fluid you are using to fill it. Keep the filling point at the highest position. Screw the tap in the fluid.

Captainmeme 05-09-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celenoglu (Post 1027825)
Immerse the whole compass in the fluid you are using to fill it. Keep the filling point at the highest position. Screw the tap in the fluid.

That is a lot of fluid. Maybe that is how Ritchie does it. I was
thinking, maybe a flexible tube screwed into the filling hole, add
fluid to the tube, then rotate/rock the compass while holding
the tube upright until the bubble is gone.

tommays 05-09-2013 07:56 PM

Syringe ?

They make plenty of industrial ones fairly cheep which could put stuff in of pop a bubble

poopdeckpappy 05-09-2013 08:28 PM

Yes, a Syringe

Fill a syringe with just enough oil, then rotate the compass until the fill hole is on top, shake or tap it a little to release any trapped bubble, remove the tap screw, fill with oil from the syringe, cap it, shake or tap it, if there is any bubbles repeat but, you'll probably release them the first time.

RonRelyea 05-10-2013 11:35 AM

I put my mineral spirits in the freezer the night before the rebuild .... still no bubbles after two years

Captainmeme 05-10-2013 12:18 PM

I can't find that little sucker this morning.
Guess he got absorbed into the fluid.

More than likely he will appear when the temperatures changes.

I'll post a picture of the two compasses, before and after the rebuild.