SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Cockpit Mounted Speaker Covers (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99324-cockpit-mounted-speaker-covers.html)

Thistle Dew 05-09-2013 03:50 PM

Cockpit Mounted Speaker Covers

The speaker covers which are mounted aft in the cockpit have been broken.
The original supplier of is totally deaf regarding supplying any replacements and I have not yet come across any used. They are 6x9 ovals.
Has anyone else had this problem and come up with a good way to make them look better. The speakers still sound great so I don't want to replace them right now. Someone suggested covering them with fabric like in home speakers.
Thanks for any ideas or solutions.

jimgo 05-09-2013 05:07 PM

Cockpit Mounted Speaker Covers

Why not Sunbrella covers?

Tim R. 05-09-2013 05:51 PM

Re: Cockpit Mounted Speaker Covers

Sunbrella would significantly alter the sound of the speaker. I would use phifertex or some other synthetic mesh like fabric.

blutoyz 05-10-2013 09:24 AM

Have you looked on ebay for grills? 6X9 covers should be dirt cheap

Thistle Dew 05-10-2013 02:38 PM

Thanks everyone.
I have looked on E-Bay but that's a good reminder to try again. Sunbrella would work but they have surprisingly good sound so I would want to maintain the sound quality. Phifertex seems like a good option. It looks like a grill.too. I googled it an found a great site which is a good source for a lot of "self" projects. Excellent prices on products for mending sails etc. Best I've seen. Check out sailmakerssupply.com
Thanks everybody. I think we have a good solution!!

downeast450 05-10-2013 03:17 PM

TD

I have the same problem. The cockpit was full to overflowing with snow when I got back from Christmas vacation. We had had quite a storm. I hadn't covered the boat yet! Shoveling it out I struck one of my speaker grills. The round grill has horizontal plastic "strips" and I broke a couple. I have made a "temporary" repair using automotive striping tape. I found some the same width as the white plastic grill bars. A carefully trimmed double layer is almost an invisible repair. It is tough tape. I use it for draft marks on my racing canoes and it has never come off. We will see. I will look for replacement grills but the urgency of having broken plastic grills in the cockpit is gone.

Down

Thistle Dew 05-10-2013 03:29 PM

Also a really great idea. I'll take a look at that too. Hopefully the repair I make will be pretty enough to post on the site.:)
Thanks muchly

chef2sail 05-10-2013 08:45 PM

Check out auto supply stores or auto dealers...They use that size speaker and have grills on the rear decks in many sedans

Thistle Dew 05-11-2013 02:17 PM

Chef2Sail
I like it. That would be such a simple fix. I'm on it.
Thanks for another great idea!!!:)