Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: New Dodger

This may not apply to you if you're planning on using an existing aluminum frame, but I've never regretted choosing a solid SS frame. Also our dodger builder put support struts on the forward bow to the storm hood.. many dodgers rely on the fabric snapped to the deck to hold the frame in place.. our frame is rigid and in place even with the canvas off. We never actually fold it down.

Zip-out or zip open front panels are essential , even here in the PNW. I do like the window covers, esp if using lexan (btw if folding over is not in the cards, lexan windows are more rigid and clearer than strataglass.. but they scratch more easily.)

Side handles, ditto... essential... and side window to open up your line of sight too.

Wasn't cheap or quick, but I think our guy did a good job. btw I wouldn't do the leather again.. it's the only part that looks crappy 6 years later.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 05-09-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2013

Waltthesalt is on a distinguished road

If you have winches on the cabintop it'd be handy if you the dodger didn't interfere with the winch handle.
Cal-29
Old 05-09-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltthesalt View Post
If you have winches on the cabintop it'd be handy if you the dodger didn't interfere with the winch handle.
Good point.. we use a short handle for the cabintop winches for that reason.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 05-10-2013
"Mentally Unbalanced"

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail:1027815
Lastly make sure that te dodger is high enough so you can look through it at the helm and protect the helmsman from wind and spray. Many make taking dodgers which protect companion ways but really offer no windbreak or shelter for the helmsman. On most boats I have seen this and don't understand why.
That's your preference, its not a must in my opinion. A tall dodger has a lot of windage and may not fit the profile of the boat well. Also, I know many, myself included, who prefer to look over the dodger and not through windows, especially in a rain. A connector from the bimini to dodger is a good solution if you prefer more protection from wind, rain, or sun. Some have a window in the connector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-10-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I also wish our dodger was a little lower. It is setup right now so that the top rail is right at my eye line. As a result I often end up standing on the rear bench when motoring to clearly see over the dodger. The big dodger is nice when sailing in crappy weather though, it is a lot warmer sitting near it than elsewhere in the cockpit. When we've been sailing in big winds and cold weather everyone's favorite job is to work the traveler and mainsheet, because then they can hide behind the dodger.

Our dodger was made by Iverson in Olympia, WA (already mentioned). It seems very nicely made. I had nothing to do with the business end of it, the dodger was already installed when we bought the boat. When the fabric fails I'll probably have them make the replacement.

I agree that side grab rails are essential.
Old 05-10-2013
Have a go and DIY .....

macwester26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistle Dew View Post
Having a new dodger put on. Since I'm new to this, some one may have advice. The style of the old one seemed just fine to me but the canvas people are asking if I want any modifications from the old one. I'm too new to know what I should be considering. Does anyone have strong feelings about what they want to include.
The current quote includes covering the existing frame with Sunbrella fabric and 0.4 strataglass windows and using all stainless fasteners.
Thanks
sewn in internal pockets for small item storage is always a good idea.
Old 05-10-2013
Thistle Dew

Thistle Dew is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone!! I can't believe the number of great ideas. I will discuss them with the canvas co. I've heard that Iverson's is the best but I'm guessing that they are really busy. I've been waiting about a month for this companies backlog to clear. They will come to the boat and fit a new dodger to the existing SS frame. I will talk to them about these ideas too. Very exciting. This is the last big project prior to permanently moving the boat to Johnstone Strait area so I'm anxious to get going!!! I'll post a pic of the finished product
Thanks again all
Elaine

Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-10-2013
Just another Moderator

Master Craft in Vancouver has a good reputation and does good work too. We used Watershed Canvas, happy with it but they are not fast.

Old 05-10-2013
Thistle Dew

Thistle Dew is on a distinguished road

Thanks Faster

Anchor Canvas from Port Townsend is supposed to do it next week. The boat is currently in Sequim, WA and we will probably take it to Victoria (rather than coming over Vancouver side) and continue North. Since I'm so close to my spot on their schedule, I think I will stick with them unless there is a reason not to. I will keep those name for future reference though.
Appreciate your input very much!

Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 05-10-2013

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
A tall dodger has a lot of windage and may not fit the profile of the boat well.
I agree, I think "fit the profile" is a polite way of saying that an oversize dodger can turn a beautiful boat into a silly looking kludge