Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Dry bilges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
I dry sailed my old boat (i.e., "moored" it on a trailer). There was an approximately 5/8" drain hole in almost the lowest part of the bilge. To keep the last little bit of rainwater from just sitting in the bilge I took a length of cotton twine and laid it so it ran through the wet area of the bilge and then out the drain hole, with about a foot or so dangling under the boat. When it rained the the water would overflow out the drain hole and the twine would get saturated. It would then act as a siphon and draw the rest of the water out.

If you have a fairly deep bit of bilge near to your problem area try some version of the above string trick and see how it works. If it doesn't work you're only out a penny's worth of string an five or ten minutes of your time.
Neat trick, may try that over the winter too. Unfortunately, the only way to route the string now would be back through the place where the water enters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
Recently there was thread on small dehumidifiers. One identified drew six amps at 12v and remove 4 pints a day. If you connected the drain to a sink drain, sealed the boat, and could tolerate 1200W of electrical consumption, you'd probably have a very dry boat.

If you have tee swage terminals on your shrouds, install rubber plugs if you don't have them already. They make a big difference in the amount of water that gets down the mast.
Thanks for the idea, but we have a furling main, so there is a 60 foot slot about an inch wide that's letting the water in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
... connected to my shower sump pump via a Y-valve. ....
Clever idea and I'm not opposed to installing an additional pump for this job. All I need to do is get the water to the bilge with the bilge pump. Manually switched would be better than nothing, but I'm even thinking of a timer, as long as the pump can run dry.

I think the trick here is going to be the pickup. The Arid Bilge pickup looks interesting and I would think it could be replicated. Not sure.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 05-10-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

Is there a height difference that would allow a wick to work? Sort of like a syphon, if you set a wick into the water and drape it up and over whatever the obstacle in the way of draining is, then place the other end lower it will transport water.
Old 05-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio View Post
Is there a height difference that would allow a wick to work? Sort of like a syphon, if you set a wick into the water and drape it up and over whatever the obstacle in the way of draining is, then place the other end lower it will transport water.
Yes, the actual deep bilge with the pump is lower by a few inches. However, the wick would have to climb about 2 ft over a stringer. That should theoretically work, but would it restart if all dried out for a few days?

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 05-10-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

make a sump situation with a pump and collector. or find a way to block the grooves--the most ridiculous thing i have seen in sail boat design is that stoopit track to allow water into boat ....i am so glad i have wood masts and no routing for incoming water ---i have to salt fresh water to make it not be a rotting event....

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-10-2013

I've been wondering if I wrapped the mast step in those high absorbant chamois, if I could head it off. They would have to be removed frequently, but I wouldn't mind if I had to swap them out weekly, or so.

However, I would say that a gallon or two collects after a storm. Not sure how much they hold. It would be silly to use a dozen of them.

No way I would trade a little water in the bilge for a wooden mast.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 05-10-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

I always thought that the majority of the water came in through the stuffing box until this last year when the boat was on the hard and I saw how much water was coming down that keel steped mast. I do have caulking in the mast slot to block the water from reaching the bilge so that leaves the slots in the mast where the internal halyards exit. Not sure if more water is coming from the top of the mast or from those exit points near deck level. I'll be trying to block off some of those lower points to see if it helps.
Old 05-10-2013

robwilk37 is on a distinguished road

just another reason not to have a furling mast along with fluting, poor battonless shape even worse when reefed, expensive blah blah blah...

but that doesnt help you now. ive seen masts filled with foam to a level above the deck and drain holes drilled there. depends on how the wiring gets out of the mast to the rest of the boat though. or you could fab an aluminum plug/plate to do the same thing, tricky installing it though but its been done before. riggers have all kinds if tricks for working inside masts. of course pulling the rig just to fix this minor design flaw might be too much.

glad im deck stepped...
Old 05-10-2013

67Therapy is on a distinguished road

Do you run your air conditioner with regularity? I've been thinking of putting a venturi on the air conditioning outflow line to suck up condensation in the AC pan (like the Mermaid system). Since this is a very minimal amount of water, I was thinking something around the size of aquarium tubing that terminated in a small sponge. Your picture above seems a similar type idea. Haven't installed it yet, but the venturi that I think will work is a Mazzei 684 or 584.