Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Dry bilges

After some study of the issue, it seems there is simply a design flaw on our boat, where water that comes down the mast will remain in one flat section of the bilge and never reach the pump.

Since it's not a leak, I'm going to need to figure out how to pump it out of this flat space. It does not get deep enough for a traditional pump.

I looked at the Arid Bilge system, which is outrageously expensive.

I also looked at the Dry Bilge system, which I don't think will really pick up the last bit. Having even a 32nd inch of water sitting there is a problem.

Any home built recipes for fully drying out a bilge?

Its not a leak, so finding it is not the answer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road
Re: Dry bilges

The only thing that works 100% for me is shop vac and a sponge. Bilge pumps never pick up that last 1/2" of water at the bottom of the bilge in my experience. Will be interested to hear if there's a better solution!
1981 Endeavour 32

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 05-09-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Shop Vac, and, when I leave the boat, I open the bilge covers. Because I don't stay plugged in, I connect a 5 Watt solar panel to the circuit which powers the Camframo fans on low when the sun is out. Bilges stay dry.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 05-09-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road

Similar spot in my Pearson. I've been manually drying it out with a cheap fuel siphon. I think that any automatic solution would need to use a flat solid state bilge switch like a Water Witch. I'm also looking for bilges that can truly get that "final inch."
Old 05-09-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

Float switch connected to the shop vac?
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry
Old 05-09-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Dry bilges

What a outbuilding up the area with fiberglass so water can't pool there in the first place?

[EDIT]Wow...autocorrect can really mess thing up! That was supposed to say "What about building up the area with fiberglass...". If you slope the floor/bilge in that area, you could push the water into the other, deeper parts of the bilge[/EDIT].
mitiempo likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Last edited by jimgo; 05-10-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-09-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I can't block it off entirely, as the limbers are necessary to drain water in a catastrophic event. It's the constant 1/4" of water that sits that is the issue.

I do go on with a shop vac, but I was hoping for an automated solution. The Arid Bilge system just doesn't seem impossible to fabricate somehow.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-09-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road

Recently there was thread on small dehumidifiers. One identified drew six amps at 12v and remove 4 pints a day. If you connected the drain to a sink drain, sealed the boat, and could tolerate 1200W of electrical consumption, you'd probably have a very dry boat.

If you have tee swage terminals on your shrouds, install rubber plugs if you don't have them already. They make a big difference in the amount of water that gets down the mast.
Old 05-09-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

I dry sailed my old boat (i.e., "moored" it on a trailer). There was an approximately 5/8" drain hole in almost the lowest part of the bilge. To keep the last little bit of rainwater from just sitting in the bilge I took a length of cotton twine and laid it so it ran through the wet area of the bilge and then out the drain hole, with about a foot or so dangling under the boat. When it rained the the water would overflow out the drain hole and the twine would get saturated. It would then act as a siphon and draw the rest of the water out.

If you have a fairly deep bit of bilge near to your problem area try some version of the above string trick and see how it works. If it doesn't work you're only out a penny's worth of string an five or ten minutes of your time.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-09-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

My mast drains into shallow bilges areas that are isolated (no limber holes). I periodically check for water and then use a hose--same kind as used for my fresh water system--that is connected to my shower sump pump via a Y-valve.

It isn't automated, but it works. There is no convenient way to run a hose to a drain in the head, so I live with the manual process. As the water goes down and the hose is sucking air, it is a simple matter to put your finger over the hose and lift it up high enough to drain the last bit of water in the hose. The remaining water in the slack bilge area can be wiped dry with a sponge or paper towel, but I let it air-dry.