SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Splicing 3-strand line to double braid (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99371-splicing-3-strand-line-double-braid.html)

Zanshin 05-10-2013 05:47 PM

Splicing 3-strand line to double braid
 
I have two large-diameter 3-strand lines that I use for moorings and they are just right for the weight of my boat - just stretchy enough to work well in high winds and seas.

Unfortunately, my two forward cleats are just a bit too small for these lines. I would like to splice on a section of smaller diameter, but stronger, of double braid to each end in order to make it possible to easily use my cleats.

Offhand I can't think of an easy way to do this, and of course my ABOK or Brion Toss books don't have a hint on this splice either. Perhaps I might need to find some smaller diameter 3-strand with higher breaking strength and just do a 3-strand to 3-strand splice.

Hudsonian 05-10-2013 07:24 PM

Re: Splicing 3-strand line to double braid
 
Splice an eye into the end of double braid and capture the eye splice in a back splice in the end of the three strand rope.

MastUndSchotbruch 05-10-2013 07:33 PM

Re: Splicing 3-strand line to double braid
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanshin (Post 1028423)
I have two large-diameter 3-strand lines that I use for moorings and they are just right for the weight of my boat - just stretchy enough to work well in high winds and seas.

Unfortunately, my two forward cleats are just a bit too small for these lines. I would like to splice on a section of smaller diameter, but stronger, of double braid to each end in order to make it possible to easily use my cleats.

Offhand I can't think of an easy way to do this, and of course my ABOK or Brion Toss books don't have a hint on this splice either. Perhaps I might need to find some smaller diameter 3-strand with higher breaking strength and just do a 3-strand to 3-strand splice.

Four words:

Goode ole sheet bend.

Zanshin 05-10-2013 08:51 PM

Re: Splicing 3-strand line to double braid
 
Unfortunately I neglected to mention that the result has to make it through a stainless steel fairing which is very pretty but not big enough to let a knot in this line pass through.

zz4gta 05-10-2013 09:11 PM

Re: Splicing 3-strand line to double braid
 
what is "large diameter"?

Zanshin 05-14-2013 08:28 PM

Re: Splicing 3-strand line to double braid
 
http://www.sv-zanshin.com/images/sma...ooringline.jpg

1 1/4 inches.

zz4gta 05-15-2013 08:51 AM

Re: Splicing 3-strand line to double braid
 
http://www.liros.com/fileadmin/user_...ire_Splice.pdf

I'd do a wire to rope splice but for 2 ropes, I'd double the length of the buries. If you have the means, load the splice to couple thousand lbs and see if it works. This isn't common but it might work. Also choose the largest double braid you can use on your cleats. Ropes that are sized similarly, are easier to splice.

The real answer is to use smaller line. ;) Who wants to coil 1-1/4" line?

chucklesR 05-15-2013 10:44 AM

Re: Splicing 3-strand line to double braid
 
I'm confused, the reason you use the 1 1/4 3 strand is strength and bounce. A splice is a weak point, and the smaller double braid you can cleat is a weak point.

Go with 12 strand, 1 inch - strength is same, fits and has bounce. It's also better looking and coils without hockles (it's what I use for a mooring, albeit 3/4 inch).

Otherwise your best bet is a modification of the single strand eye splice here (page 6) http://www.neropes.com/Resources/84906_NEROPE.pdf

MastUndSchotbruch 05-15-2013 10:53 AM

Re: Splicing 3-strand line to double braid
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chucklesR (Post 1030542)
I'm confused, the reason you use the 1 1/4 3 strand is strength and bounce. A splice is a weak point, and the smaller double braid you can cleat is a weak point.

Go with 12 strand, 1 inch - strength is same, fits and has bounce. It's also better looking and coils without hockles (it's what I use for a mooring, albeit 3/4 inch).

Otherwise your best bet is a modification of the single strand eye splice here (page 6) http://www.neropes.com/Resources/84906_NEROPE.pdf

I had the same reaction. The weakest 'link' is whatever fits through your chocks, and there is no point wrangling a thicker line outside it. It will not make a difference in strength of the whole line (which will break at the weakest link) and just contribute aggravation.

The exception would be if you would go to the extreme of using a steel cable or some of the modern high-tech lines through the chocks but this is not what you were asking about.

miatapaul 05-15-2013 12:11 PM

Re: Splicing 3-strand line to double braid
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch (Post 1030553)
I had the same reaction. The weakest 'link' is whatever fits through your chocks, and there is no point wrangling a thicker line outside it. It will not make a difference in strength of the whole line (which will break at the weakest link) and just contribute aggravation.

The exception would be if you would go to the extreme of using a steel cable or some of the modern high-tech lines through the chocks but this is not what you were asking about.

Plus most of the high tech lines have little to no stretch, not comfortable for a mooring line and more likely to snap the cleat off as there is no shock absorption. I think the best is single braid nylon (ie New England ropes mega braid), so you have some stretch and strength, or plait line all they way.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012