Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-10-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Splicing 3-strand line to double braid

I have two large-diameter 3-strand lines that I use for moorings and they are just right for the weight of my boat - just stretchy enough to work well in high winds and seas.

Unfortunately, my two forward cleats are just a bit too small for these lines. I would like to splice on a section of smaller diameter, but stronger, of double braid to each end in order to make it possible to easily use my cleats.

Offhand I can't think of an easy way to do this, and of course my ABOK or Brion Toss books don't have a hint on this splice either. Perhaps I might need to find some smaller diameter 3-strand with higher breaking strength and just do a 3-strand to 3-strand splice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2013

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Re: Splicing 3-strand line to double braid

Splice an eye into the end of double braid and capture the eye splice in a back splice in the end of the three strand rope.
Old 05-10-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I have two large-diameter 3-strand lines that I use for moorings and they are just right for the weight of my boat - just stretchy enough to work well in high winds and seas.

Unfortunately, my two forward cleats are just a bit too small for these lines. I would like to splice on a section of smaller diameter, but stronger, of double braid to each end in order to make it possible to easily use my cleats.

Offhand I can't think of an easy way to do this, and of course my ABOK or Brion Toss books don't have a hint on this splice either. Perhaps I might need to find some smaller diameter 3-strand with higher breaking strength and just do a 3-strand to 3-strand splice.
Four words:

Goode ole sheet bend.
Old 05-10-2013

Unfortunately I neglected to mention that the result has to make it through a stainless steel fairing which is very pretty but not big enough to let a knot in this line pass through.

Last edited by Zanshin; 05-14-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

what is "large diameter"?
Old 05-14-2013

1 1/4 inches.

Old 05-15-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

http://www.liros.com/fileadmin/user_...ire_Splice.pdf

I'd do a wire to rope splice but for 2 ropes, I'd double the length of the buries. If you have the means, load the splice to couple thousand lbs and see if it works. This isn't common but it might work. Also choose the largest double braid you can use on your cleats. Ropes that are sized similarly, are easier to splice.

The real answer is to use smaller line. Who wants to coil 1-1/4" line?
Old 05-15-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I'm confused, the reason you use the 1 1/4 3 strand is strength and bounce. A splice is a weak point, and the smaller double braid you can cleat is a weak point.

Go with 12 strand, 1 inch - strength is same, fits and has bounce. It's also better looking and coils without hockles (it's what I use for a mooring, albeit 3/4 inch).

Otherwise your best bet is a modification of the single strand eye splice here (page 6) http://www.neropes.com/Resources/84906_NEROPE.pdf
Old 05-15-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
I'm confused, the reason you use the 1 1/4 3 strand is strength and bounce. A splice is a weak point, and the smaller double braid you can cleat is a weak point.

Go with 12 strand, 1 inch - strength is same, fits and has bounce. It's also better looking and coils without hockles (it's what I use for a mooring, albeit 3/4 inch).

Otherwise your best bet is a modification of the single strand eye splice here (page 6) http://www.neropes.com/Resources/84906_NEROPE.pdf
I had the same reaction. The weakest 'link' is whatever fits through your chocks, and there is no point wrangling a thicker line outside it. It will not make a difference in strength of the whole line (which will break at the weakest link) and just contribute aggravation.

The exception would be if you would go to the extreme of using a steel cable or some of the modern high-tech lines through the chocks but this is not what you were asking about.
Old 05-15-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
I had the same reaction. The weakest 'link' is whatever fits through your chocks, and there is no point wrangling a thicker line outside it. It will not make a difference in strength of the whole line (which will break at the weakest link) and just contribute aggravation.

The exception would be if you would go to the extreme of using a steel cable or some of the modern high-tech lines through the chocks but this is not what you were asking about.
Plus most of the high tech lines have little to no stretch, not comfortable for a mooring line and more likely to snap the cleat off as there is no shock absorption. I think the best is single braid nylon (ie New England ropes mega braid), so you have some stretch and strength, or plait line all they way.