Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Upholstery foam..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicCat View Post
I think you should try a memory foam mattress.
Why not just get a memory foam mattress "topper", cut it to size/shape, and sew together a sort of Duvet (or comforter cover) to hold it? That way you could use "standard" thickness seat cushions, with the topper rolled up and stowed somewhere out of the way. When you're ready to make the bed up, unroll the topper, throw a sheet over it, and you have an extra-thick sleeping mattress. With a little planning, you can even arrange things so that the seams in the bottom (seat) cushions are "hidden" by the topper (I hate trying to sleep on such seams).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2013

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Upholstery foam..

Foam density is measured in # per CF, IIRC. I might be misremembering that.
When we had new foam put into all of our cushions in 1995, the upholsterer advised going with a "heavier" 2.6 density.

He said the original factory foam was ordinarily 1.8, and would go flat in any normal useage in a few years. I believed him because ours were flat when sitting on them or trying to sleep. Our boat was constructed in 1988.

The higher-density foam that he used then still "sits" without "bottoming" (pun alert) out right now and we both sleep without having hip bones against the hard bunktops underneath.

So spend a bit more and you will sit and sleep much better! For Many years... !

Last edited by olson34; 05-12-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-12-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

The Foam Factorys best two grades are 2.8 PCF, that's what I've been using.
Old 05-12-2013

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

High Density Foam. I just bought online from these guys and it's right on.
Foam, Closed Cell, EZ Film, from Rochford Supply - Your Online Textile and Upholstery Superstore!
Old 05-12-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

my cushions are 6 inch thick, my bed is topped with 2 inches memory foam.

when i change things, i need to go to non-latex foam, or a custom mattress, a lot more pricey than regular latex foam...be aware of allergens in latex--can be fatal or very disabling to those allergic to it, which includes 75 percent of world's population, at this point.

happy sails....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

I think you are confused... ordinary foam is urethane. Latex is a premium product that is much more expensive. I would have thought that urethane is more likely to promote allergies than latex.

We use latex gloves at work, and I know one person out of 100 who is allergic to them. A long way from 75%.
Old 05-12-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

When I bought mine it was measured by a "durometer" density (resistance to compression) rather than by the pound. And I got mucky, it has stayed "foam" for many years after cheaper stuff crumbled. It IS possible to buy foam too dense to sleep comfortably, so if you can, lay on a slab and try it out.

A lot of foam places will suggest that they make a sandwich for you, high density foam on the bottom for support, medium density or a "topper" on top to conform to the body, and that's probably the best way to go for a mattress. If it is done right, four inches is all you need, no superthick nonsense.

The problem is that all foam looks pretty much alike and you can't tell if you are getting CocaCola or HoJo Cola. Most of it is made like pancake batter, from chemicals fizzing in the foam to make the bubbles and make it rise. The cheap stuff eventually burns the foam and makes it crumble, so the big trick is to find a reputable supplier that has been around for a while--not the cheapest one.

And there are some places like bedinabox.com that sell foam matresses over the web. Some of their foam is made specifically by BASF, and I trust BASF to make good product.

Last edited by hellosailor; 05-12-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I think you are confused... ordinary foam is urethane. Latex is a premium product that is much more expensive. I would have thought that urethane is more likely to promote allergies than latex.

We use latex gloves at work, and I know one person out of 100 who is allergic to them. A long way from 75%.
llatex is the cheap stuff. ask any upholsterer, as i went out and did.

believe it or not---most boats have latex foam for cushions and other itms needing foam as it is so damnably cheap. rodlmao--same with rubber gloves---latex is the cheap stuff.

to buy non latx foam for my boat, i had to wait 4 - 6 weeks for a special order and pay 3000 usd more..lol.. so i didnt buy those.
i went to other upholstery places, including outlets, as i am HIGHLY allergic to latex, and found only availability was latex. the non latex was more than 1000 usd more. at the outlet for the material and foams.

any changes with manufacturers of boats made must have been within the last 4 yrs.....as before then all were latex foam.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-12-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

zeehag, in the US "ordinary" upholstery foam is indeed polyurethane, and for years the fire rescue squads have been warning people that it creates highly toxic smoke when burned. It is a universal problem for them--so they say--because "all" of the upholstery foam is urethane here.

Maybe Mexico supports a home latex industry, or we need to have the forum members check out their mattress tags to see if the fire squads are all stalking shadows.
Old 05-12-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

When I went shopping for a new mattress for our guest cottage natural foam (a.k.a., genuine latex) was ALWAYS more expensive than polyurethane (a.k.a., synthetic latex).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt