SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Upholstery foam.. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99375-upholstery-foam.html)

groundhog 05-10-2013 09:20 PM

Upholstery foam..

Hi,
I am redoing my v-birth and couch cushions.
I have picked some really nice automotive fabric, and now its time to pick the foam.

Can anyone give me some pointers on thickness and types of foam that would be appropriate for sleeping on and lasting a long time?

thanks,
groundhog:)

Alex W 05-10-2013 09:41 PM

Re: Upholstery foam..

Both of the boats that I've owned came with 4" thick bottom cushions (what are used as berths) and 3" thick back cushions.

Around 35lb foam and the highest density that you can afford is good for the bottom cushions. We put a 2" memory foam topper on top to make it very comfortable. We also use this to bridge the gap between the cushions. We roll them up for storage.

Back cushions are softer (maybe 20lb? It's been a while).

I bought foam in standard mattress sizes and cut it up myself using an electric carving knife. A cheap one works fine (just give it a break once in a while). In general one twin mattress can be cut into the two V-berth cushions. My two quarterberth cushions were cut out of a queen sized mattress.

JimMcGee 05-10-2013 10:35 PM

When we did ours the woman doing the cushions gave us a choice of soft-medium-firm-extra firm. She recommended firm for the berth cushions and firm for the salon cushions. She was right on the money.

As for the memory foam toppers some love them, I find them hotter to sleep on and less comfortable YMMV.

MarkSF 05-11-2013 05:44 AM

I used foam from the Foam Factory. For the V berth I used the existing covers, that fit 4" thick foam. I put the highest density and firmest foam, "lux HQ" in (50 lbs) Then I have a 2" thick topper, with it's own cover. This is not memory foam though, it's the medium density (HD36) foam.

The combination of the firm base, with softer layer on top, is REALLY comfortable.

All foam was cut up with an electric carving knife.

What would be really decadent would be 1" of memory foam on top of the above. That would be 7" thick.

TropicCat 05-11-2013 06:22 AM

I just finished this project myself. My berth had 4" foam which was fine if you laid flat on your back, but not so much for any other position .... or activity.....

I replaced it with a great deal from Walmart of all places. Don't stop reading yet. Walmart online offers memory foam mattresses in all sizes and thickness. I spent some time reading the customer comments on the Walmart website, and then pulled the trigger on a 6" memory foam mattress, which comes in a zip mattress cover. It's shipped in a compressed state and needs a couple of hours to puff itself up.

This mattress is nothing short of amazing. It's more comfortable than the bed at home.
Full size memory foam mattress was $149 with free shipping.

I highly recommend it.

SlowButSteady 05-11-2013 12:12 PM

From time to time, Costco also has some pretty good deals on memory foam.

You might also consider buying a mattress or futon, rather than just foam, from someplace like Ikea and cutting it down to size. Mattresses already have layers of different materials of various densities, and resilience, engineered to have the right properties for sleeping (or your favorite extracurricular activities). Why re-invent the wheel?

Sabreman 05-11-2013 12:58 PM

I used 4" high density foam from JoAnn fabrics. I don't know how the price compares with online foam, but it's certainly convenient. For cushions, do not buy anything less than 4", you will bottom out. I strongly recommend that you do not buy closed cell foam. No one has recommended it on this thread, but some have in the past. IMO, it is very uncomfortable and suited to outdoor applications like cockpit cushions.

Azzarac 05-11-2013 05:53 PM

We also went the JoAnn route. They had their high density foam on sale for half price so we bought 4 inch for the seats and 3 inch for the backs. Very comfy! We also took advantage of their half off fabric sale and bought enough UV resistant outdoor fabric to do all the seats in the cabin. I figure next winter I'll get to the beds... You can see my upholstery skills at: Cabin Sole and Cushions - SVChameleon

jimgo 05-11-2013 11:34 PM

Upholstery foam..

I saw someone who purchased a mattress (standard inner-spring) and cut it down for use I the bee berth. That is tempting. A lot of work, but probably the most comfortable way to go.

TropicCat 05-12-2013 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimgo (Post 1028885)
I saw someone who purchased a mattress (standard inner-spring) and cut it down for use I the bee berth. That is tempting. A lot of work, but probably the most comfortable way to go.

I think you should try a memory foam mattress.