Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-13-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Lighting Rubic's Cube

I took apart the one light on the cabin ceiling. There are two bulbs inside of it that fixture are connected by metal bars.

There is only one panel switch for cabin lights.

A white wire snakes from the panel snakes along the ceiling and then goes through the roof. There is a white wire coming back down into the light. One presumes it is the same. It is attached to one of the two grey wires.

Two grey wires come out of the mast support and appear to go through the side of the piece of wood to which the light is attached. One of the grey wires is attached to one of the light bulbs. The other light bulb is wired to to the white wire.

I want to replace these bulbs with LED's but I have no idea what wire goes where.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Lighting Rubic's Cube-ceiling-light2.jpg   Lighting Rubic's Cube-ceiling-light.jpg   Lighting Rubic's Cube-ceiling-light7.jpg   Lighting Rubic's Cube-ceiling-light5.jpg   Lighting Rubic's Cube-ceiling-light6.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road
Re: Lighting Rubic's Cube

Time to pull out the multimeter and figure out what each wire does. Keep your fingers clear when you plug in your shore power cable just to be safe
Old 05-13-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

the black wires -should- be your hots. You can see they go to either side of the lamps. The white that goes to the switch -should- be the ground. Power from the hots goes through the lamps and to the switch and then to ground (think of wire as a hose and power as water)

the other white, the one that is tied into the black wire on the left, I do not know what it does. I would think that it is feeding power somewhere else. I am going to guess that somebody did some wiring on your boat sometime in the past and did not follow exactly how the factory ran it. If I were you, because I take power -very- seriously. I would remove the crimps and solder connectors onto them and I would throw the e-tape away and use shrink tubing to keep all splices and connections safe and dry

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2013

Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
If I were you, because I take power -very- seriously. I would remove the crimps and solder connectors onto them and I would throw the e-tape away and use shrink tubing to keep all splices and connections safe and dry
Will do when I replace with LED's.

The large white wire coming into the fixture just seems to be passing through, connected to the 2nd grey.

I will use the BW from the first grey wire to connect to the LED.
Old 05-13-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

I think the wiring needs to be cleaned up for sure. There is a lot of discussion as to whether to crimp or to solder. A quality Crimp is going to be much more secure in the long run for sure, but few do crimps correctly. I would order some festoon bulbs in warm white, clean up the wiring and call it a day. Remember LEDs are dependent on having correct polarity, so if they don't at first work try flipping them around. There are some good sources for very inexpensive LEDs like SuperBrightLeds. They may not be regulated, but with how cheap they are you can keep several around as replacements. I would avoid the "Waly-Mart" LED replacements because they will likely be very cold color and blueish and not very pleasant.
Old 05-13-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

I suggested crimps due to corrosion. One less metal to metal contact of potentially dissimilar metals to worry about

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

Your into a who knows and get out the meter as the black/white wire is already a hack up it should be red/black or the new red/yellow

The white is normally ONLY a neutral on the shore power circuit and that looks like 12 volt lighting

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-13-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

that is why I suggested somebody had already been through that wiring once.

Old 05-14-2013

To clarify....there is no shore power. Only one 12V battery that is currently AWOL.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.