SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Weather Gods...F**# Off. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99443-weather-gods-f%2A%2A-off.html)

i_amcdn 05-12-2013 11:38 PM

Weather Gods...F**# Off.

1 Attachment(s)
I am trying to get my first boat ready for launch. I spent the better part of Saturday MAY 11th, sanding the hull with the plan being that I would spend Mothers Day painting the topsides. Instead it was cold, rainy, sunny, drizzly, rain and THEN pea sized HAIL.

WTF?

(does not = "well that's fantastic")

I am getting behind schedule (May 1) and it looks like our upcoming Victoria Day long weekend is going to be a stretch to get all of the hull painted / anti fouling.

olson34 05-13-2013 12:13 AM

Re: Weather Gods

Bummer!
Reminds me of an old saying: "man proposes, God disposes..."
:(

Minnewaska 05-13-2013 07:20 AM

Re: Weather Gods...F**# Off.

Congrats on the first boat !!

Weather is part of the game. No wind, too much wind, perfect wind but high seas, and on and on. When that perfect day comes, you remember it for a long time! And, it makes them all worth it!!

May 1 is a pretty aggressive target in Toronto, I would think. We have the same target in RI, which is also pretty early. We pulled it off this year. Splashed on Mar 30 and were in sailing shape by May 1. But, honestly, the weather won't really be fully enjoyable until late May. We are mostly shaking down the boat and fixing things that didn't survive the winter.

It will settle down and all be worth it. Just don't get in your head that you will EVER fully catch up on your to-do list.

bljones 05-13-2013 10:27 AM

I hear you, I_am- I've had to reschedule my spash date from may 15 to May 23. The weather has not been conducive to brightwork refinishing.

Sn0wman 05-13-2013 10:45 AM

Feel your pain. We had to bump our splash by 2 weeks, and still wound up pulling two all nighters to get it water ready. This weekend we couldn't do much to get it sail ready since is was blowing snow at 20 knots. And not even warm enough to do any of the bright work inside the cabin. Totally sucks. Our season is to short anyway, and this isn't helping any.

nolatom 05-13-2013 10:51 AM

Uh-oh, you know you can't use that language towards the weather Gods!!

Now you have to bring full foul weather gear for all hands your next five sunny day sails!! Trust me, it's the only way you'll get absolution.

blutoyz 05-13-2013 12:15 PM

The marina in Swansea, MA that my "new" to me boat is at doesn't even begin to launch until May 1st. I am ready but there is a boat in front of me that isn't close.

I do have to get the overboard discharge for the head to close though, the PO never used the holding tank and all of the Bay is a no discharge zone.

Rhapsody-NS27 05-13-2013 12:20 PM

I'm working on getting my boat in the water for the first time since I owned it yet the thing that's holding me up is the weather so I can get a dang survey. Right now, I'm planning to get it to the marina on the 24th. Getting closer, I hope.

Slayer 05-13-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolatom (Post 1029384)
Uh-oh, you know you can't use that language towards the weather Gods!!

Now you have to bring full foul weather gear for all hands your next five sunny day sails!! Trust me, it's the only way you'll get absolution.

My thoughts exactly...a little rum over the rails can't hurt either.

Barquito 05-14-2013 04:41 PM

It was a bit warm last spring... but seriously it was 50 degrees colder last weekend, than the same time last year! My epoxy primer is not setting up. Grrrr...