Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-13-2013

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Hi-Volume air filtration aboard for cat hair?

Morning All,
we are living aboard with two cats and the cat hair is a bit of a challenge. It occured to us that with the strong summer sun we are leaving a lot of power on the table everyday. I am looking for a hi-volume air filter to run during the day to capture as much hair as possible.

The cats shed, in a home a HVAC or AC system filter would capture loads of hair as it moves around the house. On the boat that is not the case. The hair tends to stick to the plastic/fiberglass due to static(?), gathers in some corners and then stays put. My wife does the boat every morning with a dust pan but chases much of the fine hair all over the place to settle elsewhere.

We are looking for a portable type 110v AC filter you might use in a house to clean and capture dust, hair and allergens. The allergens and HEPA filter stuff is not that important to us as we are not allergic obviously but that stuff tends to get all bundled together.

My IDEAL filter would be high volume, less than 400 watts (electric fan motor only), cleanable filter(s), and no bigger than a microwave size wise?
Any recommendations or expereince with a like problem?
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Hi-Volume air filtration aboard for cat hair?

Not sure a filter system would work very well without duct work throughout the boat.

If you do opt for a portable solution, many dehumidifiers have filtering capabilities. Dry the air while you clean it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Not sure a filter system would work very well without duct work throughout the boat.

If you do opt for a portable solution, many dehumidifiers have filtering capabilities. Dry the air while you clean it.
Tim,
really looking for the "portable" solution so no duct work. This "filter" will grab what ever it can based on entropy and movement of air in the boat--trust me the hairs do fly ALL over the place currently.
The dehumidifier would be an energy hog as it needs cooling and a compressor to cool coils that will grab moisture. I think on the east coast in the summer I could empty that bucket all day long. I'm still looking on-line for a solution.
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

Old 05-13-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

I make a lot of saw dust downstairs so dust control is a concern of mine. I ended up making my own whole room air filter out of an A/C air handler that we had replaced a year ago. The filter media was obtained from American Fabric Filter - Custom filters, Dust Bags and filtertration equipment and parts.

I would think an axial fan with a filter bag over the exhaust end would control cat hair and dust bunnies just fine. You might get by using a shop vac HEPA bag over a small house fan. That wouldn't cost much to try.
Old 06-28-2013

I ended up with a Honeywell home filtration unit from Home Depot, a 525 I think. It is just a big motor/fan in a drum with a huge HEPA filter and a pre-filter. Consumption is fine when the engine is running, or Solar Panels are cooking or obviously shore power. I run it when I can, it does in fact inhale hair and dander and is making a difference. Is it perfect? No, was there a perfect solution for boating out there....not that I could find. This thing will come a shore with us when we are done boating. It really does make the air smell "fresher" and cleans the air. Worth the 178$ in my opinion. And yes the filters will be costly too most likely.
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

Old 06-28-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I'm not a cat lover so it's easy for me to say get rid of the cats. But, putting that aside ... cat hair is nearly weightless and moves via air and electrical currents very easily. I'd suggest a portable filter low in the main saloon area and maybe someway to keep the boat windows and hatches open as much and often as possible.

my current "project"!
Old 06-29-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
I make a lot of saw dust downstairs so dust control is a concern of mine. I ended up making my own whole room air filter out of an A/C air handler that we had replaced a year ago. The filter media was obtained from American Fabric Filter - Custom filters, Dust Bags and filtertration equipment and parts.

I would think an axial fan with a filter bag over the exhaust end would control cat hair and dust bunnies just fine. You might get by using a shop vac HEPA bag over a small house fan. That wouldn't cost much to try.
Or you could put the filter bag over the the cat...

I would personally use a small shop vac on both the boat and the cats daily, and hope the cats have no front claws, because if they do you may need the welding gloves on for the vacuuming ceremony.

Tags
ac voltage , air filter , cats , hepa , volume