Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road
Re: Help pinpointing a leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoyz View Post
How many inches of water are we talking about in 24 hours?
It's several inches, but that's in the deepest part of the sump. It has to rise almost 4 inches there before it's filling the next compartment aft. I'm going down today and try to get a better idea of the volume of water coming in. I'd guess a few cups...

I mentioned in a previous thread that after the bottom paint went on I noticed a very small weep on the keel. I didn't notice it until leaving the yard for the last time before my launch date. I emailed the yard and asked if someone might take a glance at it before launching the boat, but I never heard anything back and went to down the next weekend to find my boat in the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

While any amount is troubling, if you're getting a few cups in a day, then that's at least manageable. Assuming for the moment that this is something coming from the lake, and not from above the waterline (or from a leaking fresh water tank), then a solar panel and pump might buy you quite a bit of time. The leak should be addressed ASAP, but the panel and pump should be able to take care of that much water. Even if the battery runs dry and it rains in your area for 3 or 4 days in a row (thus not effectively producing enough current to charge the battery or run the pump) you'd still "only" have enough water to fill more of the bilge. Again, it really should be addressed ASAP, but at least the pump would buy you time.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

So you sailed 20 miles? We're you taking any water over the deck? Heeling far enough to put the rails under?

What about your icebox/cooler? Does it drain into the bilge (this one has scared me before).

Otherwise there are only so many holes in a boat hull. I'd go find them one by one (you should know them all anyway) and look at them closely. Open all seacocks (or at least the ones you had open) and watch.

It's notable that the P.O. didn't have an electric bilge pump. It's less likely he had this problem given that an it's more likely you're missing something more simple than a below waterline leak.
Old 05-14-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillenme View Post
It's several inches, but that's in the deepest part of the sump. It has to rise almost 4 inches there before it's filling the next compartment aft. I'm going down today and try to get a better idea of the volume of water coming in. I'd guess a few cups...

I mentioned in a previous thread that after the bottom paint went on I noticed a very small weep on the keel. I didn't notice it until leaving the yard for the last time before my launch date. I emailed the yard and asked if someone might take a glance at it before launching the boat, but I never heard anything back and went to down the next weekend to find my boat in the water.
It could be a small weep at the keel joint coming up from through one of the bolt gaskets. If it is that slow I would throw a bilge pump with an auto switch and let it do it's job. Many stuffing boxes weep more than that and we live with it.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...
Old 05-14-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your opinion That's why were here right?

I'm in agreement, it's a very managable intrusion because of the amount of time I spend on the boat (almost daily). I can keep up with it without even installing a float switch...

My main concern is how much of a risk is it to just wait 4.5 months until end of season and deal with it at haul out - am I just making the repair a lot more expensive? Hauling out for a few weeks at the start of summer would be very unwelcome!
Old 05-14-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Once you determine the source of the leak, you can decide whether to haul now or wait.

On the haul now side of the equation, you will only have a limited time period and limited daylight hours to work on it in the offseason. If it is a serious matter, like a leaking keel bolt. you might want to haul now and attend to it while you can.

On the wait side of the equation, you just got a new-to-you boat. Install the auto bilge pump and enjoy for a few months, then haul.
hillenme likes this.
Old 05-14-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

I think the weeping on the keel after painting and this issue are related in some way. I would try and eliminate all other sources for the leak and then put a sump in and deal with it in the fall.
hillenme likes this.
Old 05-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Is your hull cored? What kind of keel do you have (lead, steel, other)?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

The hole is called a "limber hole" and it is there to allow water to run past the stringers, or ribs, whichever you prefer to call them. The water should not be coming from "inside" the hole though. That stringer should be glassed into the hull at both sides and fairly well sealed.

Of course if you empty all tankage on the boat you will eliminate the question of a plumbing leak. C&C's are known for a "C&C smile", the keel is lightly attached compared to some makers and you can get a leak from the keel flexing, but I'd try to eliminate anything else before looking into that. (Either by diving to inspect, or by hauling to see if anything runs out the keel seam where you put water inside.)
Old 05-14-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Check the stuffing box on your rudder shaft and the exhaust hose loop from the engine. To determine whether there is a leak in the exhaust line, add some food coloring to your raw water intake strainer. Further, a boat without an automatic bilge pump is a sinking in the making.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."