Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Help pinpointing a leak

Did you make it there today? What's the verdict?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Did you make it there today? What's the verdict?
I made it down and it wasn't good. I waited until 6:00 to measure and after exactly 24 hours we took in exactly 2.5 gallons of water - way beyond by comfort zone...

I dug in a little further into the stringer and was able to pull out the above. Little pieces of glass and chunks of foam core.. The chunks of core are seeping out of the limber hole with the water and collecting in the bilge. Do I have an option besides hauling immediately??
Old 05-15-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

2.5 gallons is definitly more than a few cups.
Old 05-15-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillenme View Post
I made it down and it wasn't good. I waited until 6:00 to measure and after exactly 24 hours we took in exactly 2.5 gallons of water - way beyond by comfort zone...

I dug in a little further into the stringer and was able to pull out the above. Little pieces of glass and chunks of foam core.. The chunks of core are seeping out of the limber hole with the water and collecting in the bilge. Do I have an option besides hauling immediately??
It is all too easy to lose perspective and overreact after taking possession of a new-to-you boat. Install your automatic bilge pump ASAP and determine the source of the leak.

Lots of small bits and pieces can make their way down to the bilge of an older boat. Anytime work is done on the boat, pieces can fall into inaccessible areas. The remnants you see are probably the result of work done on a stanchion base, instrument installation, or some other minor work. I would not be too concerned about the small amount of material in the bilge water. After you locate the source, you should clean out the bilge as best you can so you will be aware of any current problems.
Old 05-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Good point, James. If you tried to diagnose my boat based on the bilge, you'd be finding lots of (already fixed) problems.

I agree, get the bilge pump set up; that's job #1. I'd also start a separate thread about tightening the keel bolts. Who knows when they were last tightened, and that may help slow/stop the leak.
blutoyz likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I agree, get the bilge pump set up; that's job #1. I'd also start a separate thread about tightening the keel bolts. Who knows when they were last tightened, and that may help slow/stop the leak.
Can this be done in the water? I don't see why it couldn't, but I've never seen it done.

I may have given a bad explanation of the debris - i'm not pulling it out of the bilge, it's coming out of that void in the stringer - if I stick my finger down far enough in the limber hole i can feel the same squishy core material.

I also hope I'm over reacting as well... I just keep thinking I have thousands of dollars try to find it's way to the bottom of Lake Michigan. 3 gallons a day seems like a TON of water to me. I am really hoping I am missing something - I'll go back down tonight. Unfortunately, the only time I've been able to spend on it is an hour or two after work the last few days. The yard tells me if I have it hauled they couldn't even look at it until after Memorial Day.
Old 05-15-2013

Also, the PO tells me the bolts were torqued a few seasons and it was rebedded 15 or 20 years ago.
Old 05-15-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

We have exactly the same boat except I have the shallow bilge because I have a centerboard. Take a deep breath. These boats do not normally have really dry bilges.

The advice you are being given is sound so far. Empty the tanks. That will eliminate that as a source. Check the stuffing box drip. Check the rudder post from leakage. Its possible you have a keel bolt leak.

You should install an electric bilge pump anyway with a float switch.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Dave,
Have you ever poked around in the area Hillenme describes? The sponginess, and the amount of water, are the two things that have me a little concerned. The amount of water may be as simple as tightening the keel bolts or rebedding them. If the PO says it has been 15-20 years, and the boat was on the hard for 18 months, I'd guess that the bedding compound has finally dried out and given up the ghost. Tweaking the bolts might help as an interim step, and might also give an idea of where the problem lies.

It should also be fairly easy to diagnose where the water is coming from. Wouldn't a few simple chalk lines drawn in the bilge would show whether the water is originating locally or migrating to that area of the bilge?

I can see tightening the bolts while the boat is in the water (being careful not to go overboard), but I would think that if you're rebedding, you might want the keel supported (i.e., to be on the land). Is that the right way to do it?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-15-2013

Hey Dave, I thought you might jump in on the is one

A few updates - the tanks were never filled, they are have been dry for probably years. No one has even taken a leak in the head yet, so there is nothing in there. The box is dry and the engine has not been run in 3 days now.

It was the following quote that really got me concerned that I had an issue beyond the just a leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The hole is called a "limber hole" and it is there to allow water to run past the stringers, or ribs, whichever you prefer to call them. The water should not be coming from "inside" the hole though. That stringer should be glassed into the hull at both sides and fairly well sealed.