Not a Member? 

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Help pinpointing a leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillenme View Post
I I emailed the yard and asked if someone might take a glance at it before launching the boat, but I never heard anything back and went to down the next weekend to find my boat in the water.
Just noticed this...sounds like the boatyard communication standards I'm familiar with.
hillenme likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

Your leak is of great interest to me - I have something very similar going on. Just last weekend, I pinpointed a leak coming from inside a limber hole through a floor in much the same place as your leak. I used a snake camera to look in there and found a portion of uncovered glass mat where water is weeping through. Not much water - about 2 gallons accumulate in five days, but it is still disconcerting. I'm guessing at this point that either 1) my hull-keel joint needs rebedding or keel bolts need tightening; or 2) there is hole/crack in the gelcoat below the water line somewhere and this is where the water is migrating to, or 3) there is a leak above the waterline somewhere and this where the water is migrating to.

I do not want to seal over the exposed fiberglass I found in the limber hole for fear that the water will just migrate further along.

Anyway - appreciating this discussion so far.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 05-15-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyquest37 View Post
Your leak is of great interest to me - I have something very similar going on. Just last weekend, I pinpointed a leak coming from inside a limber hole through a floor in much the same place as your leak. I used a snake camera to look in there and found a portion of uncovered glass mat where water is weeping through. Not much water - about 2 gallons accumulate in five days, but it is still disconcerting. I'm guessing at this point that either 1) my hull-keel joint needs rebedding or keel bolts need tightening; or 2) there is hole/crack in the gelcoat below the water line somewhere and this is where the water is migrating to, or 3) there is a leak above the waterline somewhere and this where the water is migrating to.

I do not want to seal over the exposed fiberglass I found in the limber hole for fear that the water will just migrate further along.

Anyway - appreciating this discussion so far.
Interesting, it does sound like what I'm dealing with. Your's is the second mention about a snake camera, I may have to invest in one of these. I'd like to see what's going on under the water inside the limber hole.
Old 05-15-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

This is a good one:
Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless M-Spector 360 Digital Inspection Camera (Tool Only)-2313-20 at The Home Depot

Although it's another $100 if you don't already have the battery and charger (Though the M12 line is great if you happen to be in need of any new cordless tools. I couldn't live without my cordless rotary, multi-tool and right angle drill).

I have a milwaukee one but not this one with the rotating screen. It's been handy for electrical work and boat work. The rotating screen deals with the issue of camera orientation. Without the rotation I find it surprisingly tricky to keep track of up and down properly so I consider that a pretty big plus.
Old 05-15-2013

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road

Hmm! Tightening the keel boats only works if the boat is resting on its keel. Doing it in the water??? Not to be an alarmist but you are getting quite a bit of water with the boat not under any load. Put on the backstay, load up the rig and pound through a few of those nasty LM waves and you might have a much bigger leak than you thought. Best bet is to do it right. Have it hauled and checked. Tighten bolts and really have a good look inside that stringer. Was water trapped in there during the winter and then frozen. The freeze/thaw cycle with entrapped water can can cause fissures in the glass. If the PO had it on a mooring in saltwater it probably never was a problem.

Good luck. My current C&C with the same construction has a bone dry bilge. My previous one had fissures caused by a grounding and a freeze thaw cycle. It leaked constantly and more so when loaded up under sail.
Old 05-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
Hmm! Tightening the keel boats only works if the boat is resting on its keel. Doing it in the water??? Not to be an alarmist but you are getting quite a bit of water with the boat not under any load. Put on the backstay, load up the rig and pound through a few of those nasty LM waves and you might have a much bigger leak than you thought. Best bet is to do it right. Have it hauled and checked. Tighten bolts and really have a good look inside that stringer. Was water trapped in there during the winter and then frozen. The freeze/thaw cycle with entrapped water can can cause fissures in the glass. If the PO had it on a mooring in saltwater it probably never was a problem.

Good luck. My current C&C with the same construction has a bone dry bilge. My previous one had fissures caused by a grounding and a freeze thaw cycle. It leaked constantly and more so when loaded up under sail.
The delivery was an almost 3 hour beat in gusts over 30 knots. Waves were 3 - 6. It took a pounding. Perhaps that trip was enough to turn a small leak into the large one I'm seeing now. Unfortunately, getting it hauled requires taking it the same distance back to the yard.
Old 05-17-2013

Going to install an automatic bilge pump this weekend. I was thinking of installing a bilge counter as well to help me identify if it is getting worse. Someone from the yard came by the boat with me last night. He was just as stumped as to the source of the water and agreed it was not an obvious location like thru hull, water tank, keel boat, etc, but clearly under that stringer.

His only advice was get a bilge pump and keep an eye on it and they couldn't probably haul it until Memorial Day anyway - and he couldn't tell me how long it could take to get to a repair after that.

We had a great sail for about 2 hours - 15 knots of breeze, not too cold. The boat is surprisingly easy for just the girl freind and I to double-hand. When we returned I did not see evidence that the volume of water ingress increases when under sail.
Old 05-17-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

CONDENSATION? Cold lake, warmer boat especially when closed up. Just thinking. Any results from methodically eliminating each and every thru-hull including instruments?
Old 05-17-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road

It would be really educational if you dry the bilge and take it for a sail in a stiff breeze for a couple hours.
Then compare the leakage rate with the rate at rest.

If it has anything to do with the keel you would think their would be a difference.
Old 05-20-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

How did the weekend go? Did you get the bilge pump installed?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.