SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Idiot lights to gauges and OMG! I hate that Morse dual control down near the deck!?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99550-idiot-lights-gauges-omg-i-hate-morse-dual-control-down-near-deck.html)

deltaten 05-16-2013 08:12 AM

Idiot lights to gauges and OMG! I hate that Morse dual control down near the deck!??

I'm looking into replacing the idiot lamps on the key panel with real gauges mounted on the cabin/cockpit bulkhead. I see triple gauge packs having oil pressure, volts and water temp have mechanical connections. My Beta/Kubota has electrical connections for the oil and water. Is it as simple as removing the sensor/switch and plugging in the hardware for the gauge?

The W27 has a Morse two lever engine control mounted at the rear of the stbd side lazzarette bulkhead. I suppose this would be OK if ya sit on the stern/transom seating; but who does that?! My guess is that since they put the key panel on the port side, they figger'd the throttle/gear levers should go opposite? With a near 50 inch tiller, standing or sitting near the cabin bulkhead is preferred; leaving the controls out of reach or a tripping hazard.
I'm considering remounting a set of controls in a more user-friendly position. Any input on alternative mounting points?

TIA,
Paul

Dog Ship 05-16-2013 08:21 AM

Re: Idiot lights to gauges and OMG! I hate that Morse dual control down near the deck

I would leave the idiot light/alarm system in place and add gauges to the system. That way you can monitor the gauges but also have a visual and audible warning system in the event somrthing goes wrong.

blutoyz 05-16-2013 08:26 AM

Re: Idiot lights to gauges and OMG! I hate that Morse dual control down near the deck

Yup...that simple

I would put a tee in and keep the idiot light for the oil at least.

AirborneSF 05-16-2013 08:34 AM

I like mach gauges for oil, and temp, volt is better than amp, as I'm thinking/wanting to do the same thing. I feel the eng controls should be closer to the front. Post some pic's when/if you do, do this.

zeehag 05-16-2013 09:08 AM

gauges are better, and put the throttle controls in a different place unless ye want to stand on em when you do not suspect you are so doing and open throttle wide, as we did for a few hours on our latest adventure-----
i like the double control--one handle for each function-- i have one handle for both functions with a pull-push pin to separate in gear from out of gear, and at foot level--i HATE that..i want dual handle on my binnacle, as it should be... yet to be accomplished--

remetau 05-16-2013 09:17 AM

I like the Murphy EG series gauges. They allow you to control the alarms and buzzers from the gauges so you can set the alarm point and only use one sensor.

mad_machine 05-16-2013 09:49 AM

yes, you can install a "t" on the engine that will allow you both a mechanical gage and an idiot light. Infact, I would -not- do without an idiot light. The chances of the light catching your attention are much higher than a needle rising (or falling)

To make things easier, there are some gages that use electrical sendors. I think VDO gages are like that

deltaten 05-16-2013 09:57 AM

I have considerable real estate available on the stbd.cabin bulkhead. Conservatively, a square foot and a half or more. The original compass and depth finder were mounted here in 3" and 3.5" holes respectively. I will end up with a covering panel of some sort; so why not a "pod" or housing tailored for the space? That would avoid having folks boarding the boat knocking something askew AND provide a bit of weather shielding for the package AND centralize the package in a more accessible position.

I'll probably end up fabricating the housing. I'll make it large enough to fit any proposed and future controls/devices. The back side does/will protrude into the cabin space; butI am planning a cabinet at that spot anyway, so it will be shielded from view while being accessible for adjustment/repairs.

Please keep advice/tips coming. I need all the advice I can get! ;)

Paul

ccriders 05-16-2013 11:22 AM

Re: volts better than amps. I think both are needed, but I like amps on the engine panel as it tells you that the alternator is/is not working and volts on the dc distribution panel as it tells you the condition of the batteries.
Also, buzzers are better than idiot lights if they are at a frequency and loud enough to hear.
John

mad_machine 05-16-2013 12:31 PM

problem with an amperage gage.. you need to supply the back of the gage with all the amps the alternator is putting out. That is a -lot- of power in a small place, put into something that will someday burnout. At least a Voltage gage only needs a couple of slender wires, not heavy and bulky large gage wires. Much safer