Need Creative solution for mounting bicolor light on bow pulpit - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013

JimPendoley is on a distinguished road
Need Creative solution for mounting bicolor light on bow pulpit

Putting this out there for the collective wisdom-I am replacing my port and starboard loights with a single AquaSignal Bicolor unit to mount on the very front of my bow pulpit. It does not come with any mounting mechanism, just to holes in the back of the unit. I need a mounting solution that is secure and looks good, but does not involve welding a bracket on the pulpit as the boat is on a mooring. Any suggestions? Its actually a pain in the neck project, but I'm sure someone has solved it without welding a piece of 316 in place. All suggestions welcome!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Need Creative solution for mounting bicolor light on bow pulpit

how about something like this?

Traxstech: Traxstech Rail Clamp Mount (Choose Size)
Tempest likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -buddha
Old 05-16-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Hard to be too specific without pictures but I've been experimenting with Azek PVC lumber for some rail mounts. Make a rectangle about 2x2", hole saw a 1" hole in the middle and cut it in half. Corrosion and maintenance free with stainless hardware to clamp the two halves around the rail and mount to whatever you want.

Also, as an alternative I just bought plastic u bolts from McMaster sized for my 1" rails.

Another simple thing to consider would be UV resistant zip ties.
Old 05-16-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

might want to mount light on some starboard. then use clamps to match diameter of tubing of your bowpulpit. would be secure and demountable.
Old 05-16-2013

So far Art's suggestion looks least intrusive, but most expensive. I would even consider makinging an under puplpit shelf or bracket out of a couple of thin pieces of teak glued up (and then varnished) to prevent cracking, but I don't want clamps on the rail-so unsightly. I would like it to mount on the underside of the pulpit to be free from lines ripping the light off. Starboard assembly might work too, but somehow starboard seems so...insubstantial. think of this as a design contest, or a low buck challenge. Free sail on Casco Bay in a plastic classic to the winner.
Old 05-16-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

The primary goal should be a permanent, fixed, unmovable mount - to avoid the light being bumped or moved. Your light must face directly ahead, if it is bumped it could move, limiting safety and visibility as viewed from ahead by any oncoming vessels.

You could have a permanent bracket in stainless bent/welded to be bolted on (drill and tap) the bottom of the bow rail. Once mounted you can fasten the light with the two existing holes to the bracket. If you want to remove it have two stainless steel studs tacked into the holes from the inside and use stainless wing nuts to fasten plus a 2 prong plug for power.
Old 05-16-2013
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

I made my own out of a piece of aluminum angle and using U bolts to attach it to the pulpit.
I couldn't find a mounting bracket that didn't look like a cheap POS, and I didn't like the idea of mounting a new $300 LED light in a very exposed location with a cheap POS.
I ordered a piece of aluminum angle- Online Metal Store | Small Quantity Metal Orders | Metal Cutting, Sales & Shipping | Buy Steel, Aluminum, Copper, Brass, Stainless | Metal Product Guides at OnlineMetals.com. They have just about any dimensions you want. I got a 12" length of 1/4" thick angle that is about 3' X 4" on the sides. I cut about a 4" piece (whatever the width of the light is) of it with an angle grinder; drilled holes to mount the light, then mounted it on the pulpit with U bolts. It is WAY better than anything I've found pre-made, looks good and will withstand a significant impact. I even fabricated a little aluminum guard to which goes down the front of the light for more protection. Can't remember the total cost, but less than $30, which isn't bad considering they want $25-30 for the cheap POS ones.
Old 05-16-2013

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Jim,
Pics would be very helpful. Some HDPE or Boat board could be used to make a permanent solution but hard for me to really direct you without some more info. Is your boat a Vanguard?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I would rather admit I'm a fool with the possibility of finding I am not, than to deny it showing all that I truly am.
Old 05-16-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Use some "Clipper" clips with a SS "L" bracket. The clips can be held in place by drilling a small center hole and tapping the underside of the rail. Cut the L bracket short on the end you bolt the clip to. Attach the light to the other side of the L bracket.

Which model light?

Hamiltons sells the Clippers back by the boat hooks. They no longer sell L brackets but WM and Maine hardware do. An online source would be Mcmaster.

BTW, if it were me, I would have Cumberland Ironworks meet me at the Public pier and weld on a small SS plate to the bottom of the rail. That is where the plate is on my Caliber that holds my Bi-color light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 05-16-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2013

GEdagget, yes it is a Vanguard-can't believe I've lived aboard for years-I think Fred Flintstone owned it before me. old, slow antiquated but lovely to look at and fun to sail. Rugosa, I do want a durable mount, but welding is too expensive right now, plus I'm on a mooring. Tim, I can't quite envision your solution and I'm not sure how rugged it would be-do just the clips hold the lamp in place? you can sail Casco Bay anytime you want so no prize for you but if you get over to Falmouth look me up right up alongside Sturdivant and I'll offer you a Gearys. . Sorry, have not learned to post pictures yet.