SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Battery Charger Recommendations

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  PorFin 
#1 ·
Anyone recommend a decent charger for regular deep cycle batteries? I will be leaving the boat for a week or two at a time so I need something to maintain a charge but not overcharge. Thanks for the help.

#5 ·
Just don't overcharge. 13.5 volts for 4 years on a battery and there will be nothing left of the positive plates. That's what happened to my flooded lead acid marine deep cycle battery that was being used for backup power. 13.2v is the limit for continuous floating at room temperature.

#10 ·
BGS,

Here's the thing -- in order to get the best solution, you need to take a lot of variables into account (hence MaineSail's questions.)

What we know:

1. You want a new charger.
2. It will be fed using a 30A shore service.
3. You have two 12V deep cycle/cranking batteries as your house bank.

What we don't know:

1. What is the battery chemistry? (flooded, gel, AGM?)
2. What is the bank capacity in amp hours at the 20 hour rate?
3. Are there any loads on the batteries while you are away from the boat? (i.e., are you leaving a fridge running or something else that will draw juice out of your batteries?)
4. How much money are you looking to spend?

#8 ·
Get a three stage charger. You didn't mention battery type so make sure it has different settings ( wet, AGM, gel).

Do some research about electrical systems as after the sils, engine, it s the next critical and expensive system on the boat. You will also eventually want a battery Monitor like a Victron.

I suggest you buy a charger which would handle you upgrading the batteries in the future so at least 20 amp.

Learn what desulfating you batteries means or prolonging their life.

Battery chargers come in all different prices and features. We have a Mastervolt 40 amp and re very happy with it.

http://www.marinewarehouse.net/mastervolt.html

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...dwords!6456&keyword=product_ad_51843&type=pla

Dave

Reactions: BGS
#12 ·
does west marine carry coconut radios?

Thanks to all but Chucky for the patience and guidance to get the right answers out of me. I know this has probably been answered a zillion times before but the more I read about batteries the more complicated I realize it is. I'm getting it little by little though. voy a comprenderlas, por fin.

1. Battery Chemistry: Flooded
2. Bank Capacity in Amp Hours: 80 amp hours at the 20 hour rate.
3. Loads on Battery while away: Automatic Bilge Pump
4. $ : looking to spend about $100, prepared to spend $200ish

chucky- there is a lot I want to say to you but I'll just say I hope you got the little ego boost or whatever it was you were looking for from your discouraging comment. I also hope that when I'm a grumpy old man I don't forget what it was like to have to learn.

#13 ·
BGS,

Great additional info.

Take a few minutes and read this great guide from MaineSail: Clicky

Unless you've got water entry issues, the bilge pump is not going to be a significant draw.

I think you will be best served with a three (or four) stage charger in the 8A-10A range.

FWIW: I don't think Chuckles' jabs were directed at you; rather I think they were directed at the folks who came back with specific recommendations without knowing details.

ATB,
PF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.