Well, the saga continues.. just when I thought I was almost done working/renovating my new-to-me 1972 P26 and could actually launch and start learning to sail....
After a couple generally enjoyable weekends of fixing seams, cracks, and a slightly pitted keel, then bottom painting, compounding and waxing the topsides, rebuilding the bottom half of the 8hp sailmaster, cleaning, etc., I packed up my gear and prepared to start the 90 minute journey home again over the road. Before I left, something I had been chewing on over the past few months since I bought the bought made me go back inside the boat and check something.
What was that, you might ask? ...
Well, the previous owner had replaced the stock door to the head and v-berth area with an accordian-fold fabric curtain. That always bothered me; why do that? It affords less privacy, and, at least to my eyes, doesn't look near as nice as the stock door does in pictures of other boats I've seen. The only thing I could figure was it gave him easier access to the hanging locker, or maybe he thought it made the cabin look roomier. OR... and this is what started bothering me recently... maybe the door stuck and, instead of fixing the problem, he just took it out and threw up a curtain.
Turns out the answer was ... (DING)... the latter. The crossbeam is completely rotted; a 3" pocket knife went in up to the hilt w/ almost no pressure. There's a hole drilled right where the rot is the worst and a thick wire is routed through it; I think it's the antenna wire. That may be the original cause.. who knows.
Does anyone have an experience with this repair on a P26? The vertical posts on either side of the crossbeam seem to be solid, but do not appear to be anchored onto the sole in any way. To my admittedly non-engineer eyeballs, the would seem to be very structural in purpose, are they not?
Any pics this part of a p26 in good condition available anywhere? I've searched quite a bit.. hours and hours.. trying to find specific information about this problem. Dan Pfeiffer's site, this community, Cruisersforum, sailboatowners, Don Casey's books, and Google in general, but am striking out.
Any and all advice, ideas, and offers to help would be gratefully and greatly welcomed. Experienced craftsmen in the upstate NY area willing to do or help with the work would be cheerfully financially compensated
Best to all,
I just replaced a bulkhead in my P26. I had to:
Remove bungs in compression posts to expose philips screw heads that attach the posts to the header beam.
Remove inspection port covers (one on starboard settee, one on raised pedestal for head) to access nuts for the bolts that secure the compression posts down low.
Remove screws attaching posts to bulkheads.
Remove posts (big rubber hammer) with some effort.
Remove two lag bolts from mast step.
Header beam falls on floor.
Remove the old wood veneer wrap from the header beam. I did this with a putty knife.
You will be able to count the layers of marine plywood.
Make up a new blank by layering the same number of 1/2" plywood. Epoxy them together to make your new blank.
Trace the original header beams profile onto the new blank.
Band saw the blank to the rough shape and finish shaping with a belt sander. If you don't have a big bandsaw you could do all the shaping with a belt sander but it would take a while.
Wrap it in a new veneer (I used the preglued iron on veneer from Lowes) and reassemble in reverse order.