Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-19-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: ssb v.satphone ?who's the winner

I like the idea of running it parallel to the backstay. Wonder why I've never heard or thought of that before. Saves replacing the backstay with special insulated terminals etc.

PVC tube and zip-tie standoffs are easy enough to make and I've seen them used for the lower part of an insulated backstay terminal. Why not run it all the way up the stay like that?

Great stuff!

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2013

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I like the idea of running it parallel to the backstay. Wonder why I've never heard or thought of that before. Saves replacing the backstay with special insulated terminals etc.

PVC tube and zip-tie standoffs are easy enough to make and I've seen them used for the lower part of an insulated backstay terminal. Why not run it all the way up the stay like that?

Great stuff!

MedSailor
I hope to have atleast 12" of separation between backstay and antenna, a little less at the top of the mast and quite a bit more toward the bottom. Right up against the back stay wouldn't work so well I don't think. Gonna run it up to the top of the mast with a spare line and block already mounted near topping lift and the off to on side of the stern rail.

I have all the piece to build the antenna, gonna try to make it resonant at 14.300 or at least as close as possible. lots of projects and so little time.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 05-19-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

has any one had issues with the insulated backstay? in particular breakage given the constant vaiation in loading from sailing and changing backstay tension? Do folks routinely replace the connections? Do they have a different service life than the stay itself?
Old 05-20-2013

MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
has any one had issues with the insulated backstay? in particular breakage given the constant vaiation in loading from sailing and changing backstay tension? Do folks routinely replace the connections? Do they have a different service life than the stay itself?
My boat came to us with an insulated backstay already installed. It's been on the boat for at least 15 years (previous, previous owner). We've had the boat for three years. I've noticed no problems with the backstay.

We have yet to install a HF radio, so no experience with connections, but I have not experienced any problems with the insulated links or the backstay itself.
Old 05-20-2013

thanks Mike. Good to hear.
Old 05-20-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

I know many, including Btrayfors, recommend against, "cutting a perfectly good backstay." There are a few options around that, but I will stay out of that conversation as he is the expert. He has always been open to help me so you might consider dropping him a PM or asking him to join this conversation.

I agree that they best option is both. However, you may find many of the cruisers nets are run on vhf every morning, not HF. I listen to the one in Marathon everyday on CH 68 for example. And you don't have to have a HF for C Parker.

http://www.caribwx.com/

http://globalstar.com/en/doubletime2...Fa5j7AodJD8AsQ

I still say if choosing one, in today's age and given your intended cruising area, Sat Phone. But you have to make that decision.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-20-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

I had a SSB at one time. It was properly installed with a counterpoise and substantial thru-hull grounding plates, along with an insulated backstay.

The SSB was removed after my first lightning strike in 2001. The insulated backstay survived a second lightning strike in 2010, but I decided to replace the standing rigging that was 22 yrs. old. My boat has Navtec rod rigging, and had Navtec insulators.

I probably could have gone for quite a few nire years with the old rigging, as a professional inspection showed no outward signs of problems. But to be absolutely sure would have required a destructive test of the fittings.

The connection to the antenna was made by clamping the stripped copper from the RF lead directly to the antenna section with a small hose clamp that was then wrapped with rigging tape. You may want to assure a good, corrosion-free electrical connection between the copper and the stainless. Perhaps you might encapsulate the contact region with the goo that is used in underground wiring connections and then wrap the connection.
Old 05-20-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

I had a SSB at one time. It was properly installed with a counterpoise and substantial thru-hull grounding plates, along with an insulated backstay.

The SSB was removed after my first lightning strike in 2001. The insulated backstay survived a second lightning strike in 2010, but I decided to replace the standing rigging that was 22 yrs. old. My boat has Navtec rod rigging, and had Navtec insulators.

I probably could have gone for quite a few nire years with the old rigging, as a professional inspection showed no outward signs of problems. But to be absolutely sure would have required a destructive test of the fittings.

The connection to the antenna was made by clamping the stripped copper from the RF lead directly to the antenna section with a small hose clamp that was then wrapped with rigging tape. You may want to assure a good, corrosion-free electrical connection between the copper and the stainless. Perhaps you might encapsulate the contact region with the goo that is used in underground wiring connections and then wrap the connection.
Old 05-20-2013

think will go with ssb and sailmail for now and study for a ham license as well. Should have enough internet access through cellphone account and modem to laptop that economically longterm satphone doesn't make sense. Will rent one for transits though ( eastern Caribbean). Story about that cat was scary. would love to hear the whole story. maybe post it on smackdaddy's thread. cellphone modem was only $50. that way not using wifi so less issue with hacking.
Old 05-20-2013

copacabana is on a distinguished road

There is also the option of a whip antenna for your SSB radio. I have an SSB transceiver, radio tuner and whip antenna that came with the boat. I believe the total package today would cost about 5K, labour not included. If I were outfitting a new boat I would certainly go for a sat phone over SSB. In my case I don't participate in radio chats or enjoy HAM/radio activities (I know many who do and derive great pleasure from their radios). I'd want a sat phone for emergency communication only. I've found that email on shore can be done in any internet café for reasonable prices and just about anywhere in the world. Also, a mobile phone with local chips and plans could be a good option for calling and emailing, depending on the local rates. I know in Brazil there are lots of promotions where you can get unlimited mobile internet access for about 25 cents a day, only paying for the days you actually use the service. Many mobile phones today can hold up to 4 chips, making it easy to keep your options open with regards to service providers.