Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-17-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: ssb v.satphone ?who's the winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Been playing with a 802 ICOM. Had ham with me and the " idioyachts book. Neither of us could figure out how to tune to frequencies other than the presets
He wanted to go to simplex and duplex ham frequencies. I just wanted to listen to weather not get faxes. The ICOM is hard to figure out and reception lousy close to land.
AFAIK the 802 is expressly a marine band radio and only the presets are available. They can be opened to all frequencies but it obviously takes know-how.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2013

ScottUK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Easy as
Andre you are turning into a true Kiwi.
Old 07-17-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
AFAIK the 802 is expressly a marine band radio and only the presets are available. They can be opened to all frequencies but it obviously takes know-how.
Very little know-how. *grin* Turn off the radio. Simultaneously press and hold three buttons: 2 - Mode - TX. Holding those buttons down, turn on the power. Release the buttons. You're done.

Now you can program any frequency into any memory (RTFM). In addition, if you press the RX button a triangle will light up on the display. In that mode you can enter any frequency directly on the keypad (press enter). Further the left knob will highlight a number in the frequency and the right knob will act as a VFO for that place.

The nice thing about this mod (aside from it's simplicity) is that with no physical changes to the radio performance on the marine bands is completely unchanged so there are no issues with potentially effecting signal performance in-band.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to SVAuspicious For This Useful Post:
outbound (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013

windward54 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Also I believe that fixing a GAM whilst on a voyage would not be too different from repairing any backstay antenna if corrosion set in at any point. The feed line is after all just normal co-ax, or at least I thought it was). I guess you didn't want to mess with the original construction of the GAM but if I did cut-n-splice to get it working at sea, I'm sure that GAM would be able to put my mods right if/when they got it for repair.
It's not as easy as it sounds. My feed line wicked moisture all the way into the plastic housing for the twin leads. I tried to fix the feed line, but there was no way short of cutting into the plastic housing for the twin leads. Do that, and the antenna gets exposed to moisture as well unless you have a way to seal it shut.

With the backstay antenna, I can change out a GTO-15 lead in about half an hour, and most of that time is just getting to the tuner.