Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-20-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Can anyone identify these light fittings for me

I have several of these light fixtures on my 1978 New Bombay Trading Company Explorer 44. As you can see one of the light diffusers has broken. It looks like it was suffering from some kind of age related damage as it is crumbly along the edge.

Does anyone recognize the make of the light and more importantly know where I can get some new diffusers, the front piece that covers the tubes.

From Hoot Mon
From Hoot Mon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Can anyone identify these light fittings for me

TQ .... my guess is that they will be long out of production. I've tried over the years to track down any number of older lights for boats but for whatever reason they seem to have a short production life. I'd try a couple of methacrylate/perspex suppliers. You may luck out and find an extrusion that matches the curve of your diffuser and could then get it cut to size.

cheers

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-20-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road

Found what may be the current version on E-bay but no clues as to manufacturer to assist in locating parts. I've replaced a FL tube fixture in the head with a red/white LED strip that was $10 cheaper than what they are asking for this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-VOLT-BOAT...item4cf1eee543
Old 05-21-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

It's hard to tell from the pics but I believe these diffusers have open ends with the light fitting forming the end closures?

If they do they're real easy to make. Just a former of some sort, perhaps polystyrene pipe sleeving or whatever you can find that's a similar radius.

Get some perspex that's the same sort of thickness as the diffuser material, cut it more or less to size, stick it into a moderately hot oven for a few minutes to soften it up then fold it over the former and hold till cool. When cooled it will hold its shape.

Then trim to size. It works and it's easy - I've made many such parts over the years using this method

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-21-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

I guess I will have to go down the DIY route unless I want to replace the whole fitting.

The lights are good and have the option of red light for night sailing as well as white so replacements are quite expensive down here in the Windward Islands.
Old 05-21-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

Found them.

They are called Guest Fluorescent Red/White Lights and are shown as current in the Budget Marine catalogue in Grenada.

Whoopee.
Old 05-22-2013

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
I have several of these light fixtures on my 1978 New Bombay Trading Company Explorer 44. As you can see one of the light diffusers has broken. It looks like it was suffering from some kind of age related damage as it is crumbly along the edge.

Does anyone recognize the make of the light and more importantly know where I can get some new diffusers, the front piece that covers the tubes.

From Hoot Mon
From Hoot Mon
My friend Brock has a 50' motorsailer with about 10 fixtures that look exactly like yours. He converted all of them to LED and made new diffusers. I'm not sure what he used but he can tell you. Call him at West Marine in Garland, TX. He is very friendly and possesses a wealth of boat knowledge.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.