Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Ratchet straps

My Kato secure-it davit straps are starting to look worn. One is chafing over the transom too. I could have new webbing sewn on, but it would be a real pain, as I would have to leave them at the canvass shop for a while, with nothing to secure the dinghy. I was thinking of buy 3 new ones and then leaving the old set to have re-sewn as spares.

I went to Kato's site and found they cost $130 for a new set of two!! I mean, I'm as used to marine mark up as the next guy, but holy smokes.

http://www.katomarine.com/saildavits-dinghy.htm

The prior owner actually left one additional ratchet aboard that is clearly another manufacturer, but I can not for the life of me find them anywhere. Other than being stainless steel, the unique characteristic is the loop at one end that can be wrapped around the pushpit stanchion.

Anyone know of a source for these? Can't find them anywhere other than Kato.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Re: Ratchet straps

everything at Kato is overpriced when compared to others Seriously though a pair of ratchet straps from a hardware store are just as good, although hard to find white.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-21-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
everything at Kato is overpriced when compared to others Seriously though a pair of ratchet straps from a hardware store are just as good, although hard to find white.
Stainless steel is a must, but I've never seen straps with the loop at one end in a hardware store. The big advantage is the ratchet stays attached to the pushpit, when you release it. Easier to do, but also much less likely to donate one to Neptune.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-21-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Minne, all ratchet straps aren't created equally. I bought a set of lightweight ones at Home Depot last year for my bimini and they didn't make it through the season (ratchets broke).

I'd think the expensive part is the stainless steel ratchets and you should be able to buy a better quality set at Home Depot and use the straps.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Minne, all ratchet straps aren't created equally. I bought a set of lightweight ones at Home Depot last year for my bimini and they didn't make it through the season (ratchets broke).

I'd think the expensive part is the stainless steel ratchets and you should be able to buy a better quality set at Home Depot and use the straps.
My problem is the other way around. The ratchets I have from Kato are solid. It's the webbing that is old and chafing. I could just have new webbing sewn on, but would like another set anyway. It's often haunted me that one could break underway, or end up in the drink and I would be stuck to move on.

Jeanneau 54DS

Old 05-21-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

What is wrong with just replacing the strap? And why do you have to leave it at the canvass shop? The canvass guy just needs to know the width and length of the strap and how long to make the loop.

Edit: I think the strap should be a polyester as opposed to nylon because of UV deterioration. Sew a loop on one end. Attach a one end of a lanyard to the ratchet and
the other end to the boat.

Last edited by Captainmeme; 05-21-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

http://www.strapworks.com/Flat_Nylon_s/61.htm

Got a sewing machine? Done.
Old 05-21-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Minni,

I see what your concern is now, makes sense. I think I got mine from Costco, it does have a loop in the end but how to get it around your stanchion? Mine have a hook the I put through the loop, not 100% secure but your right, it could fall into the drink. Maybe a carabiner ?

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-21-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

bigger loop and a luggage tag/larks head knot.
Old 05-21-2013

tschmidty is on a distinguished road

They all have sort of a loop where the hook is sewn on. I would personally just use a pair of hardware store ones (they make some nicer ones these days although not stainless) as a spare while the others are repaired and keep them as a spare. The issues with using hardware ones long term are the rust and the fact that most of the webbing on those is not designed for long term UV resistance although I suppose you could use 303 to help in that regard.