SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Proper bolt type for mast step?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  krisscross 
#1 ·
I have a 1977 CS27 with a deck-stepped mast. Somehow over the winter, the bolt which attaches the aluminum mast base casting to the aluminum mast step has vanished, as such, I need to order a new one.

I see a number of varieties of bolts, and I'm wondering if there is any consensus on the best practice for bolt grade in this application.

18-8 Stainless vs. 316 stainless?
Grade 2,5,8?

It seems like this bolt will have very little load on it other than perhaps some shear loading, which I think any bolt will be sufficient to handle in the proper dimensions. I'm guessing 18-8 would be the best bet for its balance of strength and corrosion resistance. Does that sound right?

I think the biggest challenge is going to be finding a partially threaded bolt with the proper unthreaded portion to prevent grinding up the mast base.

Thank you,
Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.