SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Outboard Motor Lift Bracket: 1 Me : 0 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/99700-outboard-motor-lift-bracket-1-me-0-a.html)

i_amcdn 05-21-2013 12:35 PM

Outboard Motor Lift Bracket: 1 Me : 0

Launched and motored my re-furbished Edel to her summer marina this past Saturday.

I still need to fix some deck hardware before sailing but one thing that I know is not easily working is the spring loaded bracket to lift the outboard.

When I docked I struggled to lift and push the release bar towards the back of the motor while at the same time trying to pull the motor up. I tried running a rope through the motors front lifting handle to the release bar but the bar still would not budge. Suddenly it popped and the motor came out of the water but I have no idea what the secret muscle flex was that caused this success.

The next day I could not get it to lower without using my 2 foot crowbar to pry up the release lever. When it drops though it does so with authority.

I cannot even imagine being able to successful raise the motor while sailing. I could tilt it up a bit but it would hit the transom after a few degrees of tilt.

Is there a secret that you folks can share? Is the bracket supposed to be lubed? Are the springs to be replaced every "x" years"?

I hate to spend the summer dragging my outboard. The 8 HP Honda weighs about 90#.

Thanks.

krisscross 05-21-2013 12:38 PM

Re: Outboard Motor Lift Bracket: 1 Me : 0

I had an opposite problem - I had to fight to keep my motor in water. Ended up replacing the darned mount with a new one.

i_amcdn 05-21-2013 12:56 PM

I had something similar on my first docking. Tried to reverse but hit the throttle the wrong way, the motor went "WEEEEEEEEEEEE" and tilted itself out of the water. As I was heading for a collision I pulled the emergency lanyard and went forward to fend off the looming boat that I was approaching.

I should have mentioned that trying to reach back through the small "V" that the backstay adjuster forms only adds to the difficulty of hoisting the motor.

Could I attach a small block on the pigtail attached to the backstay? (That pigtail is the one used to support the boom instead of a topping lift.) or is the motor too heavy for the backstay.

Cheers and thanks.

i_amcdn 05-21-2013 01:29 PM

I am going to guess that the bracket I have is undersized for the 8HP Honda 4 stroke.

I will see if I can spot any bracket name.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/showth...stroke-engines

Alex W 05-21-2013 02:17 PM

On the Garelick bracket on the Catalina 25 that I sail on you pull the handle towards the front of the motor, then lift, not the other way around.

It's non-intuitive and I have to show it to other crew on the boat multiple times before they get it.

i_amcdn 05-21-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex W (Post 1033370)
On the Garelick bracket on the Catalina 25 that I sail on you pull the handle towards the front of the motor, then lift, not the other way around.

It's non-intuitive and I have to show it to other crew on the boat multiple times before they get it.

Non-intuitive maybe but it makes more sense your way. Seems safer too in that you are always pulling everything towards the boat.

c_witch 05-21-2013 03:01 PM

Hi,

Our bracket was giving me problems last year in getting it up or down. Finally it seemed to get stuck in the up position. At that point the cavitation plate was only 3 inches under water but I could use it that way, but could only motor at 2 to 2 1/2 knots at most. This year I went out to have a good look at it before buying a new one. I finally decided to loosen the bolts holding the arms to the mounting bracket and lo and behold it now raises up and down very easily. I now feel stupid for not having thought of this last year. We have a Honda 7.5 which is quite heavy being a 4 stroker. This year I will add a few squirts of oil to the bolts during the season as well.

c_witch

i_amcdn 05-21-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c_witch (Post 1033389)
Hi,

This year I will add a few squirts of oil to the bolts during the season as well.

c_witch

Thanks ...bolts will be checked and I will add some lubricant. It could be it is just rusted stiff after 3 years of non-use.