Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-21-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Magma Cabo BBQ meets Old World Mount

This brand new Magma Cabo was left by the PO. He had never gotten around to mounting it.

I have modified his fairly solid mounting bracket from his old BBQ by drilling 6 holes in it that are lined up with 6 of the holes that are in the really solid plate on the underside of the Cabo.

The normal Cabo mount only has 2 bolts and it only uses one clamp on the rail. The old mount has 2 clamps and with the extra 4 bolts into the BBQ I think it will be secure.

My question is :

Should I also drill a hole between the two clamps (hole would be where orange bobbin is shown in the attached) and then drill a hole through the rail and through bolt the mount. With that extra bolt there is no way that the mount would slip down.

It will be a small PITA to install and remove each year but with what I save on a new mount I can buy a few steaks.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Magma Cabo BBQ meets Old World Mount-gh011417-medium-.jpg   Magma Cabo BBQ meets Old World Mount-gh011418-medium-.jpg   Magma Cabo BBQ meets Old World Mount-gh011420-medium-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Magma Cabo BBQ meets Old World Mount

I only have one mount on my Magma Catalina and it has seen close to a thousand miles and is fine. I sure didn't drill holes through the rail. You know they make special mounts for that... Or is that what you have?

Here is a pic...

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-21-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Re: Magma Cabo BBQ meets Old World Mount

Yes I saw those mounts as well as the others that they have. I am just trying to save the money to buy a new clamp when I can re-use what was there before, albeit for a different BBQ. I will skip the through bolt as you suggest.