Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Mast sheeves sticking

The one issue when I bought my boat the owner told me about was that the mast sheeves the main halyard and jib halyard run through at the top of the mast are sticking making it hard to pull the halyards.

His thought was since they were probably originally designed for wire to rope halyards and have since been replaced with all rope halyards, the rope is sticking. It could also be that they are frozen. I can raise and lower them but can't tell if its just running over a totally frozen block or if its sticking.

Any experience with this? I could replace one of the halyards with a wire to rope halyard and see if it works.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 05-23-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Mast sheeves sticking

Whoa!! Autocorrect is taking over, there, NOB!!

Going back to rope/wire is a bit of a backward step. It is possible, of course, that the sheaves have had their day, but the best way to check that is to go up (or drop the stick) and have a close up look. You could try to lube them somehow at the same time.

If the newer rope halyards are too thick then the friction would be there all the time.. is it? If it's a 'new' symptom then something has changed.

That's a pretty small boat to be going up the mast, can you get to a tall pier somewhere at low tide that allows you a better look?? Binoculars can sometimes help too...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-23-2013

Thanks. I've got to start spellchecking.

Binoculars won't help. It's got internal sheeves with a crane on top. The previous owner offered to help splice Amsteel to rope but if this didn't work I would be out the cost of the new rope and still have stuck sheeves.
Old 05-23-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Thanks. I've got to start spellchecking.

Binoculars won't help. It's got internal sheeves with a crane on top. The previous owner offered to help splice Amsteel to rope but if this didn't work I would be out the cost of the new rope and still have stuck sheeves.
you could 3/16" amsteel on that boat and it will still work if the sheeves still need replacing. the line will only cost $25
Old 05-23-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I can help with that splice depending on when you are down this way. It's also a pretty easy splice to learn if you want to do it yourself.
Splicing Amsteel to Sta-Set

I've dropped the mast on both of my boats for various reasons, and when it's down I use that time to clean and overhaul the sheaves, replacing them if necessary. Does the Ranger 23 have a tabernacle (hinge or pivot) at the base of the mast? If so you could drop it with the help of two (or maybe one) other. That is what we did on the Catalina 25, and it has a 2' taller mast.

Fisheries Supply has most of the Shaeafer and Harken sheaves in stock.

I found this thread on dropping a Ranger 23 mast:
Unstep mast on Ranger 23

Rigrite says you have a Kenyon 3550 mast:
Kenyon 3550 Mast Section

They describe the appropriate sheaves there. If they really are 21/64" wide then using any line over 1/4" (16/64") would cause them to jam, which would suggest doing the amsteel/double braid splice. 1/4" double braid is pretty small for a halyard and won't work too well on most winches.
Old 05-23-2013

Ok just got back. Short sail today. Dang it's windy up here.

When I am in seattle I may just hold you to that. My friend is coming with me for about three weeks so I am going to pick her up the 29th. I know she definitely wants to see seattle.

I appreciate all the help. This issue was told to me when I bought the boat as the one thing wrong with it. I will mess with it now since I was going I give her a wash down anyways and see how much it's frozen. It's probably just jamming. I've actually been using the previous owners method of using the spinnaker halyard to fly my jib.

Ill report back just how tight it is.
Old 05-23-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

There's no point to splicing lines for a halyard in a boat that size. The current halyard will probably last 15 more years. A Ranger 23 (according to the OP's profile) has got to be at least 20 years old, and the sheaves probably need replacing, or at least new bushings to help them roll properly. Get her over by a pier at low tide and tilt the mast over to have a look. You may find that the sheaves have essentially disintigrated, and you're hoisting over the pin that they're supposed to turn on, turning it into a misshapen pretzel. When you do this, be sure to have something to measure the pin and sheaves with (so you know what you'll need to get to replace them, if necessary) and a can of lubricant (that you can use if things just need a shot to get them going again). Sometimes halyards can jump the sheave, too, and simply putting them back in place will work wonders.
Faster, davidpm and Tanley like this.
Old 05-23-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I just re-read the RigRite page and read the numbers incorrectly. They are 31/64" (12mm). 3/8" line should fit.
Old 05-24-2013

In that case they might just be old. I got busy on my mold removal and didn't get to them but should start to fiddle with them tomorrow.

I pulled the jib halyard and it moves back and forth. Maybe under load it wiuldnt? I don't know what that guy was talking about. I'm sure they do it sometimes. Ill mess with the main tomorrow and see how it sticks.
Old 05-24-2013

Tanley is on a distinguished road

I think Paul has it on this one. We replaced ours 2 seasons ago and some of the sheaves were almost shredded along the upper "lip" allowing the halyard to jump. The other point of wear was along the pin that the sheave axis rotates. What was intended to be a centric circle in the center of the sheave had worn unevenly over time so that it was now more of an ellipse than a circle.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.