Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Mildew

mold is toxic and causes respiratory distresses and coughs and nausea..yes mold is toxic. it is also easily cleaned with vinegar, screw the other expensive crap that has a regrowth situation after use due to lack of treatment of the spores. vinegar changes the p\h of the environment so it cannot regrow nearly as fast. try it and smile. it WORKS....nothing else did..lol...

but you guys need to learn the hard way about the value of vinegar, so use the bs you buy in stores, as you wont use the vinegar....lol...is what was used for decades before th e invention of bs substances that do not work a swell as does vinegar.

no. it doesnt leave a stink in the boat, silly.

and make sure you do not close boat up so there is no ventilation...another silly move. unless you have air conditioning, inwhich case, leave a small opening on opposite side/end of boat from air conditioning unit.....
JamesSkok and Seaduction like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 05-24-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2013

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road

Zee,

Do you mix the white vinegar with water? etc?
Old 05-24-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

for stubborn stuff i use straight onto a cloth and wipe. for less stubborn, half and half mix..

full strength in the toilet to dissolve salt build up, then flush out and add oil of choice to lube it. must use toilet brush to clean porcelain, btw....lol

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 05-24-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

I like to think that as a tester and a chemist I'm open minded. In fact, I have some side-by-side tests running now for Practical Sailor.

* Vingar. Yes, I have a spray bottle on-board and it's usful stuff. You can read lots on-line. On a personal note I hate the smell of vingar and all perfumy products as well. I prefer no odor. But that said, vingar is an excelent weak acid cleaner that folks are comfortable with.
* Other traditional remidies include washing soda, baking soda, TSP, and borax; use these diluted in formulations I have listed in the attached link. Like vingar, they are rely on leaving a residue that prevents future growth in part by modifying the pH of the surface. There are other mechanisims too. Some of these apear to be very long lasting, as there is nothing to evaporate (acetic acid will dry in time).
Sail Delmarva: Borax: Stopping Mildew and Rot on the Cheap... and How the EPA Can Make Everything Complicated
The trick with vingar and these formulation is to dilute properly (more is NOT better) and leave a residue.
* There are many quatrenary amine products on the market. Most work, are relativly non-toxic, but don't seem to prevent return very well.
* We're testing some water-proof formulations for use on-deck. Gold Shied is one that I would love to hear feedback on.
* Surprisingly, most have learned that bleach is not too useful. It kills (if enough is used to bleach and damage fabrics) but doesn't prevent return (active ingredient quickly disipates). More irritating than actually "toxic" in the long-term sense, I still have little use for it inside. May help remove stains after the other cleaners have done their work. May not.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-24-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewoliv View Post
Anyone use Kanberra Gel? I am going to try that this weekend
You bet. Here is a thread I started here a couple of years back. Lots of info.

Kanberra gel
T37Chef and chef2sail like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-25-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Tea tree oil is the main active ingredient in Kanberra Gel. We tried the gel last winter. The gel seems to work best if you leave it to permeate an undisturbed area;if you keep opening to fresh air (like us who live aboard) you lose much of the advantage. Thus my suggestion for tea tree oil from a health food store above, diluted and sprayed directly onto surfaces it leaves a residue that lasts for months. Cheaper than the gel as well by a considerable margin. I have heard - but have not tried - that you can mix the oil into unflavored gelatin and make your own version of the gel.
Magnolia likes this.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-25-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Tea tree oil is the main active ingredient in Kanberra Gel. We tried the gel last winter. The gel seems to work best if you leave it to permeate an undisturbed area;if you keep opening to fresh air (like us who live aboard) you lose much of the advantage. Thus my suggestion for tea tree oil from a health food store above, diluted and sprayed directly onto surfaces it leaves a residue that lasts for months. Cheaper than the gel as well by a considerable margin. I have heard - but have not tried - that you can mix the oil into unflavored gelatin and make your own version of the gel.
Wing is right, the gel works best over the few days that we are closed up during the week. But it really does work. Amazing stuff.

I somehow doubt the rumor about gelatin. The consistency of Kanberra is almost toothpaste-like, but it all evaporates. I'm not sure the gelatin would.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-25-2013
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

Also, gelatin is tasty for microbes and such, so you might just be fighting yourself by leaving a smear of it on all your surfaces.
Old 05-25-2013

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
It's just awkward cleaning the v berth.
That's where the kid comes in handy.
Old 05-28-2013

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road

I've found stuff called "Safe T Air" ...has tea tree oil in it and is cheaper than Canberra ... Canberra seems to be a bit more concentrated though.

The foam for all my interior cushions had a strange odor (can't quite nail down what the source was since it is from Prior Owner's time in the boat). This spring I put the foam in my van with Safe T Air for a week ... odor is gone!